How to be a better white person in 2020

@SSGT_B

20200221_072819.jpg

More racism from the usual suspects. Sad. As a motorcycle forum that has many people that share the same passion that even here we are being blamed and divided.

I come here for motorcycles and camaraderie. I don't need to have that divided by color. I don't care what color the person is who starts it. It's wrong here. Period. Guess i'll escape by going elsewhere as well.
My thoughts also . . . let's unite and be free from the shackles!

I read and re-read this entire thread...I only saw open discussion and a little controversy but nothing openly racist. Race discussions are always a sensitive matter however, I found much of this thread to be more informative than offensive.

People from all different races, religions and beliefs are on one thread to discuss and talk about our passion-motorcycling. I looked at other Hayabusa forums and this site is very tame and mild in comparison....VERY TAME....one of the other sites is just.....nasty.....

Maybe I just look through the world with rose colored glasses but I've been around the world enough in some of the nastiest places and know open racism when I read or see it.

When the day comes that open controversial discussion is eliminated, this and many other discussion boards will disappear.

I read and re-read this entire thread...I only saw open discussion and a little controversy but nothing openly racist. Race discussions are always a sensitive matter however, I found much of this thread to be more informative than offensive.

People from all different races, religions and beliefs are on one thread to discuss and talk about our passion-motorcycling. I looked at other Hayabusa forums and this site is very tame and mild in comparison....VERY TAME....one of the other sites is just.....nasty.....

Maybe I just look through the world with rose colored glasses but I've been around the world enough in some of the nastiest places and know open racism when I read or see it.

When the day comes that open controversial discussion is eliminated, this and many other discussion boards will disappear.

Here is just one of the comments from that "article". This article mentions all the things us "whites" can do to be better people. Wow thank you for painting all white people with the same brush. Should I paint all POC with the same brush? Wonder how that article would be written? Would that be received the same way here as this trash was? I think not. I'm sorry but I have zero guilt about being white. Nor do I apologize for my place in society. I judge people on their behavior and who they are. Period. I don't give a poop about race. A doo doo face is a doo doo face in any color. And a racist is a racist in ANY color. But I refuse to sit back and listen to a lecture on how to be a better white person. Yes wanna know how, simple. Take care of my family, work hard, and be a good person. I'm not adjusting my behavior for anyone.

"To all of the White people in the grays, y’all wanted this poop, so here we go.

ALL of y’all are racist. It would be literally impossible for racism to infest every aspect of society, for hundreds of years, worldwide and somehow you came out without any of it on your psyche. Stop. Get help.

When you claim you have nothing in common with the other members of your racial group from your society, you sound dumb as good time. You aren’t special. You are not a snowflake.

If you honestly think that your raging neo-Nazi ass parents and grandparents and cousins and friends and coworkers didn’t have their worldview affect yours, you’re delusional. And that’s not even to mention all of the racist ass reinforcement that comes from television, the internet, movies, music, video games, books, the education system....

Talk to each other, not to my Black ass."

See, now this is good discussion...how it should be....

The article was written but not by anyone on this forum, it doesn't mean we all agree or condone what it's content was. I have yet to see anyone actively pursue any racist or derogatory attacks on anyone else here since "you-know-who" departed us.

Issues of race and religion run deep and can divide even the strongest of bonds. In your profession you have seen it all and have been exposed to much more than the average citizen, for this I applaud you and hold what you do in very high regard. I could only imagine what the world would be like without people like you doing what you do each and every day. I (and you) have been to those countries where chaos and mayhem rule, people have zero quality of life. We are fortunate where we live.

For the record, I didn't read the article, didn't see how it would be helpful, don't think I missed anything of importance by not reading it then, still don't now.
I didn't comment on the thread until I was alluded to in a post.
Race relations in this country are complicated and tangled. I study and teach this stuff as a profession and there are still many debated and unsettled topics within the community of experts. All we can do is talk about it civilly and frankly, and that is what I try to do. I fall short, but I literally wake up every day and try.

Here is just one of the comments from that "article". This article mentions all the things us "whites" can do to be better people. Wow thank you for painting all white people with the same brush. Should I paint all POC with the same brush? Wonder how that article would be written? Would that be received the same way here as this trash was? I think not. I'm sorry but I have zero guilt about being white. Nor do I apologize for my place in society. I judge people on their behavior and who they are. Period. I don't give a poop about race. A doo doo face is a doo doo face in any color. And a racist is a racist in ANY color. But I refuse to sit back and listen to a lecture on how to be a better white person. Yes wanna know how, simple. Take care of my family, work hard, and be a good person. I'm not adjusting my behavior for anyone.

"To all of the White people in the grays, y’all wanted this poop, so here we go.

ALL of y’all are racist. It would be literally impossible for racism to infest every aspect of society, for hundreds of years, worldwide and somehow you came out without any of it on your psyche. Stop. Get help.

When you claim you have nothing in common with the other members of your racial group from your society, you sound dumb as good time. You aren’t special. You are not a snowflake.

If you honestly think that your raging neo-boogerface ass parents and grandparents and cousins and friends and coworkers didn’t have their worldview affect yours, you’re delusional. And that’s not even to mention all of the racist ass reinforcement that comes from television, the internet, movies, music, video games, books, the education system....

Talk to each other, not to my Black ass."

“Would that be received the same way here as this trash was?”

Trash? I read the article and agree with the OP who said the following.

“Many here will not get this at all. But rather than taking it as an accusation against white people, read it as a fairly factual assessment of the real situation in this country - at least from an African American POV.”

Sounds like you might be one of the ‘many’.

For the record, I didn't read the article, didn't see how it would be helpful, don't think I missed anything of importance by not reading it then, still don't now.
I didn't comment on the thread until I was alluded to in a post.
Race relations in this country are complicated and tangled. I study and teach this stuff as a profession and there are still many debated and unsettled topics within the community of experts. All we can do is talk about it civilly and frankly, and that is what I try to do. I fall short, but I literally wake up every day and try.

You didn’t see how it would be helpful and yet you didn’t read it. You don’t think you missed anything of importance and yet you didn’t read it. WTH kind of a statement is that?

#DeedRestrictions ~ #Do2deeds ~ #TimesHaveChanged ~ #THEoRg *

“Would that be received the same way here as this trash was?”

Trash? I read the article and agree with the OP who said the following.

“Many here will not get this at all. But rather than taking it as an accusation against white people, read it as a fairly factual assessment of the real situation in this country - at least from an African American POV.”

Sounds like you might be one of the ‘many’.
First off it is an opinion piece written by a liberal writer. I am happy to be one of the many who don’t get it. I do consider it trash for someone to suggest to all white people how to be better. Who the hell are they? How about I suggest something for all poc to be a better person? Thought so.

You didn’t see how it would be helpful and yet you didn’t read it. You don’t think you missed anything of importance and yet you didn’t read it. WTH kind of a statement is that?
An informed statement, that's what kind. I'm familiar with The Root, but more specifically an article with a title directing people on how to be a better white person is problematic on several levels. I'll outline a few for you:
A) It implies that the problem of racism is a personal issue, a position which obscures the structural, institutional racism which plagues America.
B) It further implies that white people are all the same, and are somehow lacking training in how to be better.
C) It suggests that a single person (the author) is somehow privy to the solution to an incredibly complex issue, and oversimplifies the problem in doing so.
D) The title is intentionally provocative, more likely to turn away those folks who may be interested in learning more about race problems in our society but reject the idea that they as individuals are in some way personally responsible than it is to inform those who don't know about the advantages racial discrimination has provided.
The old adage is true, one cannot judge a book by its cover, but I can sure as sh!t tell if I want to read it or not by looking at the title.

Last edited:
Back