How to base price

rdnckjim

Registered
What have some of you used to base the price of your bike when selling? KBB says 7k for mine in excellent and that is all. I know mine is not excellent so I am not sure where to go from there. 22k on the odometer. 2005. and a few bolt ons and a few other things. Need help getting a price together. Thanks guys.

If you can pick up a pristine low mile 08-09 these days for ~$8K,

I'd give you $5K-6K for your '05. Yes, low miles, but still 7 yrs old.

Well Tim I am still overseas right now so well have to see, just wondering right now. Got a kid now and just seeing what I can do if need be.

He's right IMO 7-8K gets you a Gen II :poke: but someone with 7K might want that '05 :dunno:

location + market situation + time of year = pricing. Best of luck.

I think most buyers with $$$ in their pocket aren't willing to pay much more than KBB trade in value. This time of year a smart shopper can find deals for less than trade-in.

here is they way i see it. Something is worth what somebody will pay for it! So with that said you need to know what you need out of it and then price it a few $K higher than that to give yourself and potential buyer room to make a deal.
ps i will trade you my exhaust and some $ to boot for your alienhead since you wann sell it:whistle:

Well selling the bike isnt in stone right now. I have just not been riding it as much as I used too and some future life changes are coming into play in the next year so just looking at my options and getting some ideas. Just put together the list of aftermarket parts and total is $3960. figure wear and tear would bring that down to about $2000 worth in parts value

The fake Craigslist and Internet ads that say Hayabusa for 2,500 actually hurt the value of your bike. start flagging.

Is that 7K a trade-in value or retail? If KBB says 7K for excellent cond., you gotta figure around 25 - 35% less for fair depending (on time of year and local market as stated above). However, pictures of the scuffs / damage in this thread could help us out, but it's no substitute for real life. If it's ever been laid down or even driveway tipped, figure half of your adjusted number. Also, in my experience no one wants to pay for aftermarket parts, ESPECIALLY a dealer. Unless you get someone who wants the exact upgrades you already have, it won't be a selling point to them. I'd still market the bike as upgraded because they might be interested in them and pretend they're not. But if you get the extra 2K for the aftermarkets I'll be impressed.

Some chips from rocks on the front, and in 09 i got hit at a yield sign by a "distracted driver" , pushed me and the bike about 5-10 feet. tore the bike down and found nothing more than left fairing and nose scuffed up. replaced both fairings and bar ends with the insurance money and I did tip over in the yard once. But that was before I got knocked off.

I haven't seen a Gen II for less than $8500 in ages around here in DC, and almost no Busas going for $5K like the one I posted yesterday. Still kicking myself for not buying an oRg member's cherry 2008 for $7500 when he was moving to California, but the job was sketchy at the time, still is. :(

I just bought a 2007 Hayabusa because it was clean, all black, low miles, and had chrome rims. I paid $7250 and he was asking $8k. KBB was $8120 retail... NADA was $6410 –$8435 range. $5610 for KBB “good” trade in. The ONLY other all black (frame and paint) clean busa was 600 miles away and that was the only one on the east coast. They were asking $7900. So $7250 seemed reasonable to me. I would have paid $7700 because i liked it so much.

My 2005 R1 i was trading in (separate transaction) was $6105 KBB retail... NADA is $4665 – $6140. $4205 for KBB “good” trade in which is standard... Just to give you an idea - i "could have" sold it on craigslist for prob $5400. So the middle of the NADA range. I ended up selling it to a dealership for $4850 for a quick sale. They immediately listed it for $7650 (on "sale" from $8100) according to them.

What i did was look at all the R1's selling within 200 miles... wrote down all the prices in a 5 year range around my bike... took off $ for negatives like bad color, hi mileage, year older, etc... and added $ for nice additions and newer. There was 1 R1 in my area - same color and year... for $5500. It was DULL paint and looked old. Mine looked new so i decided i'd sell it very fast at $5300-$5400. ...but i was impatient. Found a 'busa and wanted it.

Pashnit has it right as usual without seeing pics... good $ range.

Back