How I got two busas in two months (Or: How to buy 2 hayabusas for $4800)

Argilbertson

Registered
I keep thinking about how I got to this point and am still amazed; sure, I could've died, but it all worked out alright so far!

Got the 2001 almost on a whim. The guy really liked my old CBR900RR, so I traded it and $3000 for his 2001 hayabusa. The bike had just over 1500 miles on it at the time. Registered it on 10/29....totalled in on the freeway one week later (woman in an SUV changed lanes and hit me). The insurance paid me out $6000 plus my bike back and replacement gear. Found a gentleman selling an 03 for $4700, bargained him down to $4500 with the service manual, cover, and front and rear stands. The 2003 had about 33.5k on it, but he showed me pictures of the bike's motor and transmission being rebuilt at about 32k. Ordered all the replacement parts needed (with a couple minor exceptions) for the 2001 for about $800 or so.

So, after spending $3000 and trading in my old CBR, I ended up with a 2001 and a 2003 hayabusa, both with under 2000 miles on their drivetrains. All in all, I think I did pretty well! :)

yea, the prior owner was an instructor for UTI, and when he purchased it from the first owner, he tore the whole bike down and went through the thing from front to back...very nitpicky sort of person, he even replaced the original mufflers with new OEM mufflers because they had some scratches on them

Yep sounds like you got 2 good deals. Glad you recovered from your accident. Sounds like to me you could sell one and then you could have one for FREE :laugh: :cheerleader:

yeah, but for wrecking on the freeway, both the bike and I got off really easy...I only suffered a sprained ankle and some rash, and the bike needs a new muffler, stator cover, side and upper fairing, and misc minor stuff...could've been a lot worse.

And not to mention you have parts on the way to get your 01 back to looking good :thumbsup:

Back