Homebrewing

Dan

Married to HRH Grammy
Donating Member
Registered
Been wanting to try and make my own beer for a while so we went to the local homebrew shop and picked up a starter kit. Yesterday I made 5 gallons of pale ale. :beerchug:. It will be about a month before it is ready to sample.

Anybody else here make your own beer?

My ex used to brew his own beer, then started making cider...it was pretty darn good :thumbsup:

I wish I had a pic of the label I made for his first batch...had a cave man on it, some witty comments about men and beer...

Keep us posted on how your first batch turns out! :thumbsup:

via Samsung Galaxy SIII

There are a few places around Cleveland and surrounding cities that offer their equipment and bottles for a fee...I get a burger and have helped in the process...the nice thing is there are guys and girls in the building to assist...after your first batch I'd suggest tweaking it a bit to something not on the regular menu / recipe that way if you label gets a good review you can get a better rate down the road. I don't understand the chocolate coffee flavor but some people do like it and are willing to buy a case...that is the nice thing of the small batch shops and creating your own stuff.

On a side note as a kid I can remember my dad making wine in a 2 or 3 gal jug....the bubbler part that lets the gasses out was clogged and in the middle of the night it blew the cork stopper out and in a sense painted the ceiling a nice red shade...it is something to laugh about now...not much of it ever tasted that great anyways

No but I wouldn't mind being a taste tester :)

How's that grandkid of yours doing?

You are always welcome to come up and have one!

The grandson is doing great and will be two in June. My daughter does a good job of putting videos on Facebook for us.

My ex used to brew his own beer, then started making cider...it was pretty darn good :thumbsup:

I wish I had a pic of the label I made for his first batch...had a cave man on it, some witty comments about men and beer...

Keep us posted on how your first batch turns out! :thumbsup:

via Samsung Galaxy SIII

Will do!

HRH likes cider so that's will be on me developmental plan.

There are a few places around Cleveland and surrounding cities that offer their equipment and bottles for a fee...I get a burger and have helped in the process...the nice thing is there are guys and girls in the building to assist...after your first batch I'd suggest tweaking it a bit to something not on the regular menu / recipe that way if you label gets a good review you can get a better rate down the road. I don't understand the chocolate coffee flavor but some people do like it and are willing to buy a case...that is the nice thing of the small batch shops and creating your own stuff.

For the first couple batches I'm going to stick to the recipes. I've got a couple books about different grains, hops, yeast, etc so branching out in the future is definitely an option.

I brewed some beer when I was 16, when it was ready my dad only let me and my mate have a shot glass full and drunk the rest himself.:banghead:

Then when I lived in Iceland a few of us chipped in and my mate Jimmy brewed some beer.
He got a big plastic barrel, made the beer and put it in that and put it in the bathroom.

But he sealed the barrel up with the lid and a metal collar which sealed the lid.
He came home from work one day and where the beer was fermenting the lid was like a big dome.
He didn't know how to open it without the pressure in the barrel blowing the lid off and beer going everywhere.
So he came up with the idea of putting a towel on the lid and sitting on the barrel while he opened it.:laugh:

In his words it was like a bomb going off, it blew him across the bathroom into the wall and he hurt his arm and had to go to the hospital, he had his arm in a sling when I saw him.

Shouldn't laugh really but.:rofl:

Back