Hole in Gen I tank

HayabusaTime

Registered
I have a Gen I and the tank has a dent in it. Water and trash keep getting in my tank but, there are no visible holes on the tank. I just got finished cleaning the tank out and, was wondering if anyone had an idea of where a hole could possibly be.

Could you elaborate a bit more about the water and trash in your tank? What kind of trash? If you have a dent in the tank it seems obvious that’s where a hole might be. Did you happen to put gas in it from a gas can or at a gas station that had a truck refilling their tanks? That’s a real no no as it stirs the water and debri in the tanks.

Gas tanks tend to rust through the seams, and around the welds, and they leak there if anywhere...but you will have a visible gas leak, and notice the smell of gasoline.
If the tank is rusting inside, the tank was left open at some point, and rust started above the gas line, where it may still be.
Remove the tank and fuel pump.
Duct tape the holes closed.
Put a hole in the tape for a compressed air nozzle to fit tightly in.
Spray compressed air into the tank, and spray soapy water on all the gas tank seams, if you have a leak, it will be visible.
I would inspect the inside of the tank with a small mirror and a light.
If there is a small amount of rust, get a gallon of Evaporust(biodegradable and non toxic), and let it soak in the tank for several hours.
A simple electrolosiss tank can be made to remove the rust too(google/youtube).
There is also seam sealer gas tank repair, kind of like JBWeld, which also works.
But, if you do have a rust hole, and do not clean or encapsulate All of the rust...then the fix will be short lived.
The entire inner tank can have a coating or sealer applied as well.
Worst case, the tank needs cut, fabricated, welded, bodyworked, and repainted, at which point unless those are skills that you have, it is Much cheaper and easier to buy a used gas tank.

Last edited:
Could you elaborate a bit more about the water and trash in your tank? What kind of trash? If you have a dent in the tank it seems obvious that’s where a hole might be. Did you happen to put gas in it from a gas can or at a gas station that had a truck refilling their tanks? That’s a real no no as it stirs the water and debri in the tanks.
Im not sure where the gas came from. I traded the bike for some work, and once I plugged the ignition switch up the bike ran for maybe a minute.
There were leaves and rust inside the tank. I took it off the bike and rinsed it thoroughly and sucked the remaining water out with a wetvac

Im not sure where the gas came from. I traded the bike for some work, and once I plugged the ignition switch up the bike ran for maybe a minute.
There were leaves and rust inside the tank. I took it off the bike and rinsed it thoroughly and sucked the remaining water out with a wetvac
It appears the fuel system needs a complete overhaul from the pump to the injectors...

The fact that it ran for even only a minute is a good thing-at least it has fire....

I have a Gen I and the tank has a dent in it. Water and trash keep getting in my tank but, there are no visible holes on the tank. I just got finished cleaning the tank out and, was wondering if anyone had an idea of where a hole could possibly be.
The vent tube is probably rusted the and leaking water into the tank. I just sent one to a body shop that repair and seal tanks for the same thing.
Everytime the bike was out in the rain it would die and we had to drain the tank

Back