High mileage busas

Rogue_Biker

Registered
I was wondering how many have kept their bikes or have put on a lot of miles on theirs.

Mine is a 2000 bought new in August of 2000.  It's currently just a hair under 50k miles.  I accumulated the mileage from commuting, sport-touring, and sport-riding.  

Problems:  It burns a little oil despite my proper break-in procedure.  Also, two rivets on my Yoshimura RS3 slip-ons' end caps have come off.  Any ideas how to fix it?  Just use a rivet tool?  Where do I get a rivet tool?

Most of my Busa's little issues have been caused by wrench monkeys at dealerships.  Now, I service my own bike.  Things like missing fasteners I've had to replace; missing fairing foam; mis-routed hoses; minor scratches; a small dent in rear wheel; stained windshield; etc.  Most of which I have rectified.

The bike now uses sythetic oil exclusively.  I've been using semi-metallic brake pads since 25k miles and the front brake discs are near their wear limit.  The rear brakes have always used organic pads and the discs are still well within specs.  

No matter how often I change my clutch fluid, it turns black within a week.  I have swapped out the front brake and clutch lines to steel braided hoses.  I have also replaced my windshield with Lockhard Phillips smoke screen, which are of good quality.  Certainly better than stock.  But the screen is thinner and exposes the sides of the fairing edges.  The bike is also on its 3rd set of drive chain/sprockets.  Typically, they last about 20k miles.

So far, the bike's quality, fit, and finish have held up with time and mileage.  The suspension doesn't feel any worse than when I first got it.  Of course, it may also mean I just got used to it.  At the risk of gloating, the bike looks like it's new!  That is, until you look closesly and see some pokmarks on the headlights, front fender, and front wheels.  Speaking of wheels, I powder coated my wheels to match the grey shades of the bike's body.  I did this because the repeated tire changes have nicked and scratched the wheels real good by the 40k mile mark.

Likewise, its performance has never faltered.  It is as intoxicating back at 1,000 miles as it is at 50,000 miles.  The clutch is still smooth.  Shifter is still just a tad notchy but smooth enough.  And it is still my prefered ride over anything.  I've thought about replacing her but with what?  No other bike has really "lit my fire" except the Buell Firebolt. But I'm not about to replace this bike with that! Maybe another Hayabusa....if Suzuki replaces her and only after 2 years that replacement has gone into production.

Anybody else with high mileage on their Busas?

geocities.com domain gone

<!--EDIT|Rogue_Biker
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147738554 -->

Your bike looks great for the yr model and mileage...I'm not any where close...

I say keep her as she has not let you down...I can't think of any other sport touring bike that I would have either...

My LE is just over three months old and is nearing 3 thou but my CBXs have nearly 50 thou and 80 thou respectively. The Busa should have another 4-5 thou by the 4th of July.

My_New_LE.jpg

Evidently I'm spending to much time at work...You guys kill me with the amount of time you get to spend on your bikes...

Before that crack jacked my white one I was on a pretty good pace. I bought it 1/10 and it went to 2600 by 3/31. I've got over 800 on my black one and its been in my care for 3 weeks.

Wow! That white Busa sure looks nice.

My Busa has always been garage kept. I think that makes a huge difference in keeping its finish like new. In addition, the weather in SoCal means it rarely sees anything worse than rain. Oh, I've been caught in the rain in it quite a few times. I remember riding her in the mountains in the pouring rain! But always, after it gets pretty dirty, I give her a good washing with S100, a sponge, Plexus, then WD-40 on most moving parts.

I see so many bikes in Socal in such poor condition. I almost feel sorry for them (bike not owner). Since I can't afford a new machine every few years, I like to take care of what I have. These suckers aren't cheap!
wink.gif

Damn pretty bike.

I'm just a few miles under 40k and should hit 50k sometime in the middle of July
biggrin.gif

As to problems, so far I have loose front turn signal wires (mainly the right one) that I need to check and adjust.

Occasionally the engine feels rough. Last year about this time I took it in to have the valves checked and they were in spec. I'm going to do it myself this year.

I have the same problem with my clutch fluid
smile.gif

I'll be replacing the front lilnes with steel braided soon and replacing the front pads at the same time. I replaced the rear one last year.

I'm not interested in replacing mine. I lucked into getting the right one for me and have been adjusting the bike to fit me better. I just added a 3.5 gallon external fuel tank so I can start hitting the little harder to reach places (next month's ride to Labrador for example
smile.gif
)

I'm considering adding a dual-sport type bike; Wee-Strom being my main consideration.

How many other bikes can take me camping:

Have me comfortable enough for 1000 miles in 24 hours:

dscn5931x600.jpg

It takes me to the heights:

dscn3052x500.jpg

And through the lowest of the lows:

And even my wife finds it comfortable enough to ride:

Yea, we're just getting started. I look forward to hitting 100k sometime in 2008
smile.gif

Carl

smile.gif

smile.gif

35k here.

I think my fuel pump is going to go in the near future, it's making a strange noise when I turn the key.

Bike has been perfect except for the fuel pump
biggrin.gif
Which is still working... for now...

Carl, where did you take that pic of yourself at the "high" point? Is that Colorado?

I haven't synchronized my throttle bodies in a while. Maybe 10k miles. So it's running just a bit rough too. I have found that replacing the air cleaner, sparkplugs, and sync'ing goes a long way into smoothing things out.

Almost hit the one year mark on the Busa (May 21st is the B-Day) and I've got 18.25K on it. Not a single problem and therefore not a single complaint.

almost had my baby one year too-anv. is June 17th. Bought an '03 w/5600 on it; now pushing 13,500. If the weather gets better here in Milw, I'm hoping to break 15k by her annv.

and heck no, I wouldn't trade this beauty for anything else out there-best ride, coolest looks, and power?! fahgeddaboutit! I'll keep this one till she falls apart at the seams, then mebbe replace with the next busa.

I don't know about high mileage but, I have 32k on my 01. Runs great. I think another member in my area had over 80k before he rebuilt.

01_Busa.JPG

My '04 which I've had for 26 months now has 34,000 miles on her. Not one single problem ( I probably just jinx'd myself) to date.

Brake pads have been changed, new chain and sporkets, 7 rear tires, 3 front tires and 40 or so quarts of oil.

I just sold my 02 with 52,ooo miles on it. Had to replace the starter clutch, fuel pump, and 2nd gear dog bones (all at the dealers expense, gotta love extended warranties)

The 06 le was bought in Feb. and has 5,ooo on it.

Bought my 04 13 months ago with 1600 miles on her. She now has nearly 18,000. 5 rear tires and, 3 front tires, new chain and sprockets, and one set of brake pads. Adjusted valves once at 15,000 and all were in spec...still runs strong but I must admit, I have been seriously considering a new 06 LE.

GAwd...I've 2000 miles on mine and I think I've had it 1 1/2...maybe 2 months
tounge.gif

I can't keep my arse out of the seat. I'm either workin', sleeping, cleaning the beast, or riding her.

My 04 which I bought in Jan 05 used with 650 miles on it now has 12000 miles on it. Just got back from a Deals gap and Tennessee trip on it and will be doing a lot more touring on it soon. No problems at all except eating tires but thats the nature of the beast!!
biggrin.gif
Love it the best Bike I've had and planning on keeping it.

Back