HID installed but not working correctly

chvyeter

Registered
Gen 1 I first installed just the lowbeam hid and it worked fine. Now after I installed the highbeam hid kit the lowbeam comes on when you turn the bike on but once you start it up the lowbeam shuts off. The highbeam will turn on. To get the lowbeam to work I can unplug it from the bulb then reconnect and it works. The highbeam tho kind of flickers with both lights on. No idea why it's doing this. Any ideas? I'm running a DDM HID 6k 55w setup

It's a 2001. I'm using the stock wiring harness at the moment. If the bike is off the lowbeams come on but the highbeam won't. Once it's running the lowbeam won't turn on unless I unplug the bulb then plug it back in. Then both works but the highbeam will flicker a little

The power wire that runs between the factory headlamp harness and the ballast is the ideal place to cut the power wire and install a switch for the headlight. This will allow to turn off the headlight during startup.

What is killing the ballast is when the ignition is turned on, the headlight is powered on, then you start the bike, while starting the bike the headlight goes off, the once the bike is running the headlight comes back on. This is called a rapid fire scenario.

Ideally you want the hid to come on and stabilize. This is when the light comes on and reaches the optimum brightness. Usually 30-60 seconds

While turning on and off the hid so quickly not allowing for the stabilization period to occur this is what is killing the bulbs and ballasts.

Solution. Switch would be ideal. Have the hid off during start up, let bike warm up, then turn on headlight. Then the headlight is only turning on once and allows for stabilization.

BB

The power wire that runs between the factory headlamp harness and the ballast is the ideal place to cut the power wire and install a switch for the headlight. This will allow to turn off the headlight during startup.

What is killing the ballast is when the ignition is turned on, the headlight is powered on, then you start the bike, while starting the bike the headlight goes off, the once the bike is running the headlight comes back on. This is called a rapid fire scenario.

Ideally you want the hid to come on and stabilize. This is when the light comes on and reaches the optimum brightness. Usually 30-60 seconds

While turning on and off the hid so quickly not allowing for the stabilization period to occur this is what is killing the bulbs and ballasts.

Solution. Switch would be ideal. Have the hid off during start up, let bike warm up, then turn on headlight. Then the headlight is only turning on once and allows for stabilization.

BB

You suggest I put both bulbs on a switch?

You suggest I put both bulbs on a switch?

no, only the low, as it comes on when the bike starts! The high is never a problem as it doesnt turn on with the bike so no rapid fire.

I bought a relay for the low on ebay for $5 shipped.

mOu9FN0uwnqNKEhgItb14bQ.jpg

no, only the low, as it comes on when the bike starts! The high is never a problem as it doesnt turn on with the bike so no rapid fire.

I bought a relay for the low on ebay for $5 shipped.

mOu9FN0uwnqNKEhgItb14bQ.jpg

Alright I'll do that tonight. I appreciate the help

Sounds like your bike has a hard start problem or even may be a week battery.
Measure the voltage during cranking, and please post the results

You think maybe the starter could be dragging a little causing a lot of voltage to be drawn? Sometimes it acts like it's hot and turns over little slow. It's never turned over super fast like most bikes I hear.

Guess I was lucky... installed dual HIDs on my 2nd Gen 1 with no switch, no relay and no issues.

Installed a switch for the lowbeam and it seems to work perfectly now. High beam still kinda flutters if I turn it on

If you are just going to add a switch to the HID's so that you can turn them on after the bike start off, do yourself a favor and wire to the switch to the ground side of the ballast instead on the "hot" side. this will prevent any issues down the road if the switch fails. last thing you will want is a hot wire loose somewhere and shorting out. I done this to a few of my bikes and never had a problem that way, but I did learned this the hard way.

Back