Help with Schnitz rear lowering links...

OB_busagringo

Registered
Hi all.

To those who have installed the Schnitz rear lowering links (or, for that matter, the Mcintosh dogbones) - did you have any problems installing 'em. It seemed I couldn't get any working space leverage with the header pipes in the way. I got the back wheel on a rearstand but I just could not take the oem links off without hitting the header pipes! Do I have to take the pipes off first?

Any info is much appreciated. Thx.

It can be done without taking off the pipes, but is is a pain in the @ss. A buddy of mine got a Yoshimura RS-3 Duplex (Single Canister) and now it only takes about 3 minutes to raise/lower his bike w/o a rearstand.

iz

First this is to not lift the bike from the swingarm.Lift the bike from the swingarm pivot.I use 2 lug wrenches that I stick into the holes and set them on jack stands on each side.This unloads the weigh of the bike off of the suspension links.Loosen the bottom suspension bolt and side it out.once you do this this will allow you to move the swingarm up and down by hand.The top bolt has to be taken out between the lower part of the chain and the swingarm.Have someone there to hold the bike for you.I wouldnt want it to fall on your head.

Took me 15 min....

1. Remove exhaust on left side only (as veiwed from rear) just behind sidestand (if stock).

2. Loosen and remove nuts on both bolts holding links.

3. Jack slightly just under shock pivot, just in front of links.....no swing arm stands.

4. Jack until pressure is off bolts and remove.

5. Install new links; use jack to line up holes on last bolt.

6. Put everything back on.

7. Watch those bumps now.........

The triple tree takes sometime longer, but still simple...

I put mine on the center stand and remove just the left muffler at the collector clamp and use my foot to raise and lower to the hole I want.

just pull out the sleeve partially for the pivot to allow the bolt to be cocked enough to be removed.i never remove anything to adjust the links it takes 5 min tops.2 if your use to it.it will clear the exh.

Back