Help with racing fuel application please !!

Bird Hunter

Donating Member
Registered
I only have access to Sunoco race fuel in my area now... Does anyone run it at the drag strip ?? I am running an 08' with Brock's AH and Brock's drag map, with K&N air filter.

I have their flyer here and it looks like the 260 GT Plus is about the best application, but there are 3 other unleaded fuels to choose from ?..

THANKS !! :beerchug:

GT plus is a slow burning high oxygenated fuel that will make you run slower. Because of the high (5%) O2 level, you would need to remap or you will run very lean. Because of the high octane, you would probably need to advance ignition by ~2 degrees.

Not recomended. Put in a good quality 87 or 89 octane pump gas and run it hard.

GT plus is a slow burning high oxygenated fuel that will make you run slower. Because of the high (5%) O2 level, you would need to remap or you will run very lean. Because of the high octane, you would probably need to advance ignition by ~2 degrees.

sounds like the voice of experience there :)

question still always hits me... why for bracket racing do guys go to all that trouble.. gimme a 1985 station wagon with an auto :rofl:

16.50/16.50/16.50 :laugh:

ok so I would not really but it is funny... :)

I've been running 89 oct. pump gas. I appreciate the help Draco, and will keep running pump gas to keep my motor safe.. I just wanted to break into the 9's on my bike as my best so far is a 10.19/141 mph.. I only get to run a few times a year so I'm sure I can get there with more seat time, or lose about 50 lbs :laugh:

sounds like the voice of experience there :)

question still always hits me... why for bracket racing do guys go to all that trouble.. gimme a 1985 station wagon with an auto :rofl:

16.50/16.50/16.50 :laugh:

ok so I would not really but it is funny... :)

Well, I'm not racing yet, just having fun and trying to go as fast as possible with very little done to the bike.. I hope to have the time to race in 2010, and will definitely be looking for the time consistency at that point !! :thumbsup:

Well, I'm not racing yet, just having fun and trying to go as fast as possible with very little done to the bike.. I hope to have the time to race in 2010, and will definitely be looking for the time consistency at that point !! :thumbsup:
seat time.. seat time.. :)

Hey Birdhunter, no race gas will give you 2 tenths, maybe 1 at best from what ive seen. But seat time will get you much more than that. What are your mods? With a better 60' you will rocket into the 9's no prob:thumbsup: We have a heavyhitter (330lbs:muscle:) at our track that got on a friends 08 with pipe, tune, lowered and strapped, swb and has gone 9.89 w/ low 1.7x 60's. So you can do it, and give 87 pump a try it works great in my bike.

gimme a 1985 station wagon with an auto :rofl:

28714e5b0.jpg

Hey Birdhunter, no race gas will give you 2 tenths, maybe 1 at best from what ive seen. But seat time will get you much more than that. What are your mods? With a better 60' you will rocket into the 9's no prob:thumbsup: We have a heavyhitter (330lbs:muscle:) at our track that got on a friends 08 with pipe, tune, lowered and strapped, swb and has gone 9.89 w/ low 1.7x 60's. So you can do it, and give 87 pump a try it works great in my bike.

Hey Sean,

Mods are: Strapped front, window lowering links, 17 tooth front sprocket, Brock's AH and a PC with Brock's track map, DynoJet quick shift kit, and Brock's clutch mod. I'm Stock length, stock rear sprocket, street tire- Bridgestone (BT016), and running 89 Oct. pump gas. I'm 6-6, 315 before leathers :laugh: My 60' time slowly gets better everytime I go out, so I'm sure thats pretty much the key, I need to launch better.... I also have a rear 46 tooth I'm thinkin about putting on, just don't want to start fighting wheelies again..:please:

I will definitely try the 87 next time out as well !! :beerchug:

A quick realization that I came to is seat time...my 60's are bad but getting better. Pick a routine...3-5 sec burnout, ease up to the beams, settle in...it seems there are three phases of the light bulb (coming on, bright, and going off)...and slip the clutch...easier said than done but that is the fun of it. Do you leave with your shifter foot on the peg? I have a hard time deciding what is more comfortable / pratical, as far as foot placement...have fun.

A quick realization that I came to is seat time...my 60's are bad but getting better. Pick a routine...3-5 sec burnout, ease up to the beams, settle in...it seems there are three phases of the light bulb (coming on, bright, and going off)...and slip the clutch...easier said than done but that is the fun of it. Do you leave with your shifter foot on the peg? I have a hard time deciding what is more comfortable / pratical, as far as foot placement...have fun.

:thumbsup: Good info RYC, thanks :beerchug:

I launch with both feet on the ground. I struggle a little sometimes trying to get my feet up in time for the shift into second, but most of the time I make it before hitting the rev limiter. I have tried with my left foot on the peg, just doesn't feel comfortable or feel like I have full control of the bike. I launch around 2K rpm and just add throttle as I'm letting out the clutch. I'm getting the timing part down better so I'm not riding a wheelie or bogging it down off the launch much anymore. Definitely seat time needed for me. I have made about a total of 25 +/- passes so far. Just test n tunes at the local track.. I LOVE IT !!! :laugh::beerchug:

If you can get it, try some Sunoco 260 GTX and see how it does. Since it is unleaded, you can burn it in any engine if you don't like it for the bike. Give it a try and report on what you find. Experiment! It is not oxygenated and should run fairly well. Good Luck!

Yeah, 87 makes the most power of the three grades of pump gas. I haven't used 87 for fear of det. issues, but several peeps here have and are currently using it successfully :beerchug:

Just curious because the Gen I stock called for 87 but the Gen II stock calls for 90 or 91 up. I've been running 93. Around here it goes 87, 89, 93.

If you can get it, try some Sunoco 260 GTX and see how it does. Since it is unleaded, you can burn it in any engine if you don't like it for the bike. Give it a try and report on what you find. Experiment! It is not oxygenated and should run fairly well. Good Luck!

Your right it is unleaded and its not oxygenated, but its 98 octane so all its going to do is burn slower which if not tuned for it will only make less power. It the bike doesnt ping (detonate) on 87 octane than anything above that will only make less power. The only time more octane produces more power is if you can run more timing, and or boost (supercharged or turbo apps.) to take advantage of the added octane.:beerchug: For what its worth I have alrways ran 87 pump in my stock bikes and it runs the best at the track with it. Now the only prob with a bike is its hard to hear detonation, at least on bikes with loud exhaust. So if your not looking for every last bit of hp run 89 or better gas. But when hundeths of a second matter youll take that extra power where you can get it:lol:

Hey Sean,

Mods are: Strapped front, window lowering links, 17 tooth front sprocket, Brock's AH and a PC with Brock's track map, DynoJet quick shift kit, and Brock's clutch mod. I'm Stock length, stock rear sprocket, street tire- Bridgestone (BT016), and running 89 Oct. pump gas. I'm 6-6, 315 before leathers :laugh: My 60' time slowly gets better everytime I go out, so I'm sure thats pretty much the key, I need to launch better.... I also have a rear 46 tooth I'm thinkin about putting on, just don't want to start fighting wheelies again..:please:

Looks like you got the basics covered:thumbsup: One thing you might want to look into is a upper tripple so you can lower the front a bit more, every bit helps. With that gear and mph are you close to the limiter in 4th when you go through the traps? And all its going to take for you to go 9's is seat time, I promise:thumbsup: I started running 9.3's and now 100 passes later im running consistant 8.9x's. So just get back out there and let us know when you get that 9:beerchug:

Back