Headlight haze on the inside of the lens

justin726

Registered
I've had a HID unit installed for the last 5 or 6 years with no problems whatsoever. I took a week long trip earlier this month on the bike and somewhere during that time a strange haze appeared on the inside of my headlight lens. It looks somewhat similar to the headlight haze that sometimes appears on the outside of some car headlights. I thought it was maybe some kind of condensation at first and that it might evaporate, but after 2 weeks or so, it's still there. Hard to say, but it doesn't look like it would just wipe off with a gentle swipe of a cloth. The haze is about 4-5 inches in diameter and directly in front of the low beam bulb. There is nothing on the lens in front of the high beam bulb.

Was wondering if anyone else has experienced this, and if anyone had ever tried disassembling the lens from the housing? I thought the housing/lens is a sealed unit. I've read on some other boards about people warming the entire unit in an oven for a few minutes to loosen the glue then gently prying them apart. Anyone ever tried this?

Headlight 004.jpg

The oven thing can work but I just use a heat gun. Getting OE stuff apart is more difficult than aftermarket housings. A butter knife helps, just take your time.

The sealant needed to put the light back together can be obtained from any place that sells projector kits.

I had it happen on my first Gen, but I parked it in the sun all day and it went away.
My HD guages were terrible about that but it would usually burn off (dry out in the sun) too.

This happended to my spare bike too,its on two headlights instead of one.
Water must have seep through.Got to wait for it to evaporate hopefully.:whistle:

If its condensation get some silica packs from a shoe store or something to help absorb the moisture.

Whatever it is, it's dried on there already. No fresh droplents or anything like that.

If it wipes off easily, I might be able to remove the bulb and reach something through the hole to wipe it off. If it's stuck on, then I might have to attempt taking the lens off so I can scrub it.

Looks like a damage to me.Have you ever been on a track day ? Some organizers put some stickers on the headlights which help headlight to overheat and finally melt from the inside.Just a thought though.....Hope thats just a stain

No trackday or tape. This came about while I was on a road trip through Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, and California. Hottest temp it got to was about 112 degrees while in Vegas. Hot, but I wouldn't think melting hot thought.

Hopefully at least get the fairing off this weekend, pull the bulb, and inspect if further.

Back