Hayabusa for sale

OB_cbryant

Registered
Anybody looking for a second bike to putter along on?

Yesterday around noon, I picked up my new Hayabusa. I rode it (very gently, break-in you know) for 200 miles yesterday and I must say that I am a tad frightened. This bike could get me in very serious trouble as power in UNBELIEVEABLE. Even at the realtively low revs I was at yesterday during break-in (4000, give or take a thousand), you can feel gobs of torque and you sort of feel like you are sitting on JATO rocket. A twist of the wrist and it would leap out of its skin...

Anyway, I've had my name on this bike for a very long time and it finally came in yesterday. Between the time I ordered it and it came in (3 months), I have actually acquired an urge for a little trail riding. So, to make room in the garage (and wallet), one of my bikes has to go...

Anybody interested in this monster? It is Black/Silver, and includes the 4 year extended warranty (a must with a bike like this, I would guess). It also includes the shop manual, centerstand, and tank bra (when they come in). This bike is kind of rare these days and is going for as much as $1000 over list in most parts of the country. Around here (Missouri--HUGE cruiser country) it is going at full list + setup ($10,500 plus $100-300) when the dealers can even get ahold of one. With the bike, warranty, and accessories I have $11,500 in it. A pretty good deal considering the bike alone is going for that in most places.

If anyone is still looking for a 'busa' there's a Brand New Copper/Silver on the Dealer floor in Austin, Tx at D & L Suzuki. Was ordered for a guy, and a divorce messes his finances on getting it. So there it sits. Call them at 512-452-7554. Dealer wants $10,499 go get it !!! :-)

CBRYANT,

I agree with VegasDude. Unless you really want to get into the trails, give it some more time. 200 miles is not telling/going to tell you much.

I "stopped riding" my aircooled '79 GS1000E in '89, got BUSA fever when I first heard about BUSA last fall. Decided I would ride 1000 this year and see if I really wanted to ride before trying to get BUSA next year. Well, you see I did not wait till next year. It got here the end of May. I never want to get off this bike.

I was obviously nervous (I knew it) when I started riding it. And as you have done, considered it as possibly too much muscle for me. But after break-in I realized too much muscle was what attracted me to this bike to begin with. MUSCLE and More Muscle than I ever imagined I would ever need/use in stock form.

Break-in time took some serious restraint, but it had to be done right or what's the point in buying a new bike.

Anyway, back to my point. I have taken my time and pushed myself each time I go riding (2-3 times a week). Each ride increases my BUSA confidence level. 90 felt fast on my GS. 90 on BUSA caused me to hesitate because it felt like 50 and I had never experienced such superior handling/ride comfort before.

Long story short. I never had the occasion/reason to do more than 115mph on my GS that I can recall before I parked her 10 years ago. Since I started back riding in February, I had GS up to 130.

Busa was up to 150 (when I happened to look) tonite. It probably was more, but like it has been suggested to, I am "learning" the bike, right? Don't underestimate yourself, that's all.

2000 miles on this BUSA. 1500cc BUSA next!

ps. I have been so impressed (when 1st riding BUSA) with the 6th gear performance on highway that I forgot that I had more in store if I would accelerate through the gears, even. Guys........I have not redline shifted my bike yet! Do I have something to look forward to?

You know I do!

[This message has been edited by byhalia (edited 18 July 1999).]

byhalia, i had that same damn fever......had to have the bike. Im glad im not the only one. I love to be this sick...........lol

VegasDude,

When I saddled up GS for 1st time after 10 year "sabbatical", had to teach myself how to steer again and hold handlebars. I was not simply applying "pressure" (ya'll correct me if I am wrong) to opposite bar to turn and was strangle holding the bars.

So you know I was riding scared, trying to "steer" with aching arms.

WHAT A COMBINATION.

Hey guys, is that copper BUSA with Dymags on Dragbike.com not the most wickedest copper BUSA you have seen?

Mr. Bear
My first bike was a Honka 250 which I rode from San Diego to the Seattle World's Fair (and back). I sold it in '63. and didn't get bitten until '83 when I bought a Suzuki 550. In '84, I bought an '83 1100E. Each bike was a big transition. Then, about 2 1\2 weeks ago, I picked up my 'busa. After reading all the posts on this BB, I was really leary about riding it the first time. However, it wasn't intimidating, only awesome, in every sense of that word. I had to get back on my 1100 to take it to my mechanic to sell. It felt like a trail bike in comparison. It is a joy to handle. At very slow speeds, it just purrs..At high speeds, it screams. My latest aquisition is a Valentine I. I'll happily take all suggestions as to the best way to hook it up.
Parenthetically, my mechanic, who has the local highway patrol contract, was raving about some turbo katana (or something like tha) he'd just ridden. When I got back to pick up my busa, His dtone was one of reverence and awe. It was like nothing he'd ever ridden. Getit. You'll never regret it.

Byhalia, it sounds like you went from an F-4 Phantom to an F-22 Raptor in the transition from GS1000E to Hayabusa. You must have done a good job storing your 1000. Did it go like before you parked it when you brought it out of mothballs?

The reason I ask is I have an '82 GS1100E which I parked for 2 years with 63,000 miles on it. I bought it new. I didn't intend for it to sit for so long, but it needed maintenance, and I was moving around and didn't have time to deal with it (it was under a cover at my parents house). I finally went and got it, and it now has 75,000 on it, but I am sure it needs top-end work. It just doesn't quite pull like it used to.

I haven't got the 'Busa yet, but it's just a matter of time now. Do you have any wise words for another pilot who is stepping up? I also experienced some loss of skills, after only two years out of the saddle. But I figured that I have been throwing that 1100 around for years, and that if anything the 'Busa ought to be more forgiving. Your 1000 and my 1100 are probably a lot closer to each other than either one is to the 'Busa.

Also, are you planning to keep your 1000? My GS1100EZ is the last bike I have bought, and I want to keep it as a project machine. What are your plans? Those oldies are classics now, after all. Congratulations on your new hardware. The 'Busa is definitely giving a lot of us the fever again.

Guys, Guys, Guys,
When I said I was a tad frightened, I didn't mean that was why I wanted to sell the bike.I have ridden ZX-11's and CBR1100xx's before so I was not *completely* unprepared for this kind of power. You should be a tad frightened on a scoot with this much zoot. You must respect it or it will kill you. I want to sell the bike because of monetary and garage space reasons. I had my name on this bike for a long time (figured it was vapor-ware since I was being told "next month" all of the time). When it finally came in, I was sort of suprised in a monetary way. I have been looking at used trail bikes in an attempt to get the wife into riding. I went ahead and bought the Busa because I already had $$ down and I knew they were hard to come by so I didn't think I would have a hard time selling it. Believe me, I would love to keep it, and if I sell this one, I will probably get another one in 2000. But right now, that money could come in useful elsewhere. So anyway, once again, Black/Silver Busa/4 yr ext. warranty/centerstand/shop manual/tank bra/300 miles/ St. Louis area/ $11000??!! That is the biggest loss ($450)I am willing to take on this bike. After all, it sure wouldn't break my heart if I had to keep it! ;)
chris

What? I spilled my guts for nothin'! Actually, if I lived in Maplewood, I'd buy your busa in a flash. I won't tell you how much I paid for mine. But I wanted it and knew I was being had from the start.
Good Luck

Mr. E, that's an interesting trip you described back in '62 or so. I'm from Seattle (born there in '61), and now am in San Diego. I-5 wasn't done yet back then, was it? I have memories as far back as '66, when it still wasn't finished between Tacoma and Seattle. You did it on a Honda 250? Wow, that's pretty awesome. Did you mostly go on 99, or on 101?

My parents and a brother are still in Seattle. San Diego to Seattle will be a Hayabusa trip for sure, but probably mostly out on Highway 1, not so much on the Interstate. Anybody who says "You are crazy to ride that far on a Hayabusa", I'll say I know of someone who did it on a Honda 250. Compared to that, the 'Busa is a luxury ride!

Mr. E - V1 - good move. I'm using the
factory windshield mount with suction cups right now but there are cycle mounts for V1's on the market. I ran the power cord to the battery and used a V1 power adaptor at the battery. What I am waiting on now - already ordered the V1 audio accesory since I have found the V1 to be nearly impossible to hear at the speeds I find myself at on the Busa AND with earplugs. It has already saved my butt several times at lower speeds when I could actually hear it but I got nailed last Thursday at 87mph in a 55 because I couldn't hear the V1 audio and was too engaged at the time to see the V1 warning lights. I've been trying to locate some earplugs that provide full hearing protection WITH an audio connection but haven't been too successful so far other than custom made/custom formed very high doolar CART/F1 style plugs. I'm now thinking of using a single speaker from a headphone or perhaps a pillow type speaker in my helmet with regular earplugs at least until I can find the info I once saw on some more affordable (about $50) earplugs with audio. (where is that darn link?) I hit 2300 miles today and I'm loving the Busa more everyday if that's possible. Hit a new top speed (for me) this evening at 180. The Busa took it all in stride.(6th gear) The Busa acts like it was made for it! :)

Mr Bear, we have to stop meeting like this!

Advice: My previous bike was a Honda V65 Sabre -- 1100 cc's of screaming beast -- for it's time, which was 1984. The 'busa is a whole 'nother thing -- much smoother, _much_ more torquey. If you treat it with respect, it will return that respect with an absolutely unbelievable ride. If you don't, I have no doubt the morgue has another slab available.

The factory has done everyone who's making the transition to the Hayabusa a favor, by mandating a 5000 RPM break-in limit for the first 500 miles, and an 8000 RPM limit for the miles between 500 and 1000. If you are religious about sticking to that limit (and it's difficult to restrain oneself!), you'll be just fine.

Dr. Harry Hurt of UCLA did a study many years ago about motorcycle ownership and accidents. He found that if you survived the first few thousand miles, you were home free -- in other words, most of the squids you read about in the paper or see on the news who've gotten flattened are folks who were just getting started. That's one of the reasons your dealer (when you're buying a first bike) will push Motorcycle Safety Foundation courses so heavily -- they'd like to see you survive to be a repeat customer. You've already ridden for a number of years, so you'll be just fine, just take it easy at first while you get to know your new, fearsome buddy.

-- Falconer

Cbryant, with all due respect......and all that, but are you shittin me? The bike is tame enough to ride at normal speeds but who wants to. Just ride the bike reasonably till you get used to it and little by little you will get to know the bike. If you respect the bike you will learn to ride it properly. Go to a msf class, but dont sell it yet, not until you have given it a chance...I speak from experience. I hadnt ridden a bike for 20 years. I bought a zx11, it scared me too. But i rode it until i was real comfortable with it at sane speeds, took both msf classes and in two months after i bought it i loved the bike and i proceeded to put 17000 trouble free, accident free miles on it until i sold it and bought the busa........200 miles does not a motorcycle rider make. Dont be hasty..................This motorcycle made bike of the year first year out.......damn it give it a chance............hehe

[This message has been edited by VegasDude (edited 18 July 1999).]

Todd: you need "in-ear" headphones with an ear plug around them? No problem, goto:

www.collett.mb.ca

Les Collett makes Collett Communicators, for a few years they came with these funny headphones, now I believe he includes both, the headphones AND helmet speakers. He sells direct to customers now around the world. Check it out! Good luck.

cbryant - I know you said "Hayabusa", but do a reality check and make sure it wasn't a dream about picking up and riding a new ZX-12 ?!?

"Yesterday around noon, I picked up my new Hayabusa. I rode it (very gently, break-in you know) for 200 miles yesterday and I must say that I am a tad frightened. This bike could get me in very serious trouble as power in UNBELIEVEABLE. Even at the realtively low revs I was at yesterday during break-in (4000, give or take a thousand), you can feel gobs of torque and you sort of feel like you are sitting on JATO rocket. A twist of the wrist and it would leap out of its skin..."

Mr Bear,

This is a late response, but nonetheless, I am keeping my 79 1000E with plans to complete blue/white S model appearance. It was my first bike and I want to have a reminder of whence I came. Several of our compadres answered your question on transition to Busa, etc. You have it in you I feel if you were riding anything over 750cc's. No reflection on 750cc bikes mind you. I have ridden one and did not enjoy the size of the bike, etc. Felt like a mini-bike.

As far as handling comparatively speaking of GS and BUSA. My 1000 would slow down for curves that I now just literally turn my head into. I describe it like that because it takes really no effort. I am laying on my tank as much as possible trying to stay behind this tiny _ss windshield. I have to remind myself that this bike was built for high speed and that I will not be doing turns quicker than a 750 or 600, unless I get there first. Getting there first however, is not a problem.

Bear. Are you going to wait on a 2000 model? Enjoy whichever you obtain.

Peace.

[This message has been edited by byhalia (edited 29 July 1999).]

Hey slowpoke don't worry, after 4-5 weeks the power will seem normal. That is until you ride another bike (which are all slower) and then hop back on the busa.

You are correct in stating that you could get into big trouble fast. I'll give you several points just for saying that (most people won't). Just take it easy and you will be just fine.

Todd; IF you have no luck obtaining a pair of speaker-ear plugs, let me know. I think my brother still has a pair he is not using, but uhh I would try to get a new earwax-less pair first! :)
See my email in my profile.

Back