Hauling Busa

2112Rush2112

Registered
Guys I need some advice. I live in Dallas and am relocating to Albuquerque in a few weeks. I need to move all my stuff....Cadillac....and Busa all in one shot. Has anyone put a busa in the back of a uhaul box truck? I will need to pull my car on a trailer behind the uhaul truck so I probably won't be able to put the bike on a trailer and pull it. Any thoughts? Past experiences? Time is running out for me to plan this move so any advice would help.

It can be done, kind of difficult to tie down if there are not attachments close to the floor or ON the floor. I used the side rails and had straps stretched way out, but be careful of the bike walking one way or another if you don't have the sides of the tires supported. I'd suggest doing that and cutting some 2x4's and wedge them between the wall and the tires to keep the bike stationary. Or just get some D-rings and drill them into the floor. :laugh: The floors on those U-Haul trucks are pretty slick and the bike will move if not chocked or secured somehow.

Buy a cheap front stand and hardware, drill and install it in the box truck. Remove it after the rental. Works great

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Zee
If you strap it down in a "X" fashion the bike / car can't hop or walk left to right...strap the left side of bike to the right side of trailer and the right side if swing arm etc to the left side of trailer...smash down the suspension under tension also...plan B could be have a trusty friend to cruise it or drive your truck if you ride the bike.

1st things first: FANTASTIC screen name! :beerchug:

WRT to moving the bike, I just did this 5 months ago from MD to CA. I labored for weeks over the best/cheapest way to do it.
Cheapest: Squeeze it in the truck.
Best: Ride it.
2nd Best: Trailer it.
3rd best: Ship it with a reliable shipper.

For my situation, very similar to yours, I was also towing a car, so trailering wasn't really an option even if I had a trailer or rented one. As it turned out, I rented the largest truck and we filled it floor to ceiling, front to back...no room for the bike. Therefore, I went with a reliable shipper, Keyboard Motorcycle Shipping - Great Motorcycle Shipping! Transport Your Motorcycle With Keyboard!. They were recommended by my uncle who moved from MD to WA a few years ago and they had the best price of any legitimate shipper (there are a lot of shady operations out there, many are brokers so you don't know who actually has hands on your bike and most of the reputable shippers were MUCH more expensive. I paid $675 and the bike was delivered as promised in the time frame promised with no damage.

If you have a vehicle that can tow, another great option would be to buy a good trailer where you are now, trailer the bike, then sell the trailer on the other side. However, if you plan to make any stops (took me 5 days to cross the country), consider how secure you'll feel with your bike on a trailer in a hotel parking lot over night (I LOATHE thieves!).

To sum up:

Good shipper:
Pros: Fairly inexpensive (cost is further offset by the fuel saved by not moving the bike yourself), no worry over theft during transport, specialized transport equipment to ensure safe/damage free transport, can time delivery to your schedule, no hassle with trailers or trying to secure the bike in with all you other UNIMPORTANT STUFF in the back of the truck.
Cons: Once it's on the truck, you have no control over your pride and joy; you need to give them some days notice (average two weeks) to ensure you get a spot in their pickup schedule and delivery can be a window of over a week.

Towing:
Pros: Bike stays under your control and it's with you for the trip.
Cons: Requires a tow-worthy vehicle and a good trailer (I had neither and only would have used a fully enclosed trailer); leaves bike/trailer vulnerable on the road to potential thieves; incurs add'l gas cost.

Packing in Truck:
Pros: You control the whole operation and the bike stays with you and is certainly not gonna be a hot target for bike thieves buried in truck where bikes usually AREN'T.
Cons: Moving trucks are not setup for moving bikes so to ensure a damage free bike, it's HIGHLY recommended that you modify the truck with wheel chocks and tie down points and/or crate the bike somehow; pretty much any standard moving truck contract will specifically prohibit the transport of the bike in such manner (only a problem if you get caught doing it, of course); you also have to secure you USELESS STUFF (all that household crap we all drag around ;) to ensure it doesn't hurt your bike; loading and unloading a bike on the truck can be devastating if you're not careful ;).

My recommendation: The Hayabusa costs thousands of dollars, even used. Spend the $675 on a good shipper, participate in the loading and unloading processes (I did, to help ensure that they were done in an acceptable manner) and just consider it a cost of doing business. The last thing I would want to do is put in a moving truck that wasn't designed to hold it securely amongst all of my other gear that may or may not somehow bash/rub/slide/lean/fall/scrape/etc. into my bike which I work so hard to keep out of harms way on a daily basis.

Whatever you decide, best of luck with the bike and the move!

Build a solid crate around the bike. Four guys pick it up put it in truck . Done right won't fall over won't be damaged by anything and certainly secure since no one would think a bike is in there. Only downfall is you need man power to load unload. Trust me four guys can pick up a Busa. Building a crate really won't be hard or cost much either just gotta be creative and such

(Tapatalk)

Back