GUMBALL!

WuzzaCBXRider

Donating Member
Registered
I just watched the Gumball Rally (again):cool: and I got to thinking. In the movie they said the race was 2,900 miles and the average speed was just over 85 mph taking 34 minutes 11 seconds. One day heading north I ran 285 miles through Oregon on a nice two lane where the speed limit was 55. With the help of my V1 I averaged just over 70 mph and that included a few stops for fuel etc, none taking over 5-10 minutes. I really wasn't on a speed run. This wasn’t like running across Nevada on an empty road for a hundred miles or so, there were towns to go by and car and truck traffic. Once I went from Missoula to Bozeman Montana in two hours flat stopping once for maybe 4 minutes. That covered 206 miles but, that was when the speed limit was ‘reasonable and prudent’ during daylight hours.:bowdown: I miss those days. I passed a highway cop going the other direction and he didn’t even look over at me.:laugh: Just think of the overall running speed required to (average) 85 for 34 straight hours across the whole country. The only bike in the movie was a ridiculous KZ 400 2 stroke.:confused: Suppose any of us could get anywhere close to that 34.11 hour time frame? I’ve heard of long distance (LD) riders with auxiliary fuel tanks doing coast to coast runs but, (why) is always my response. It can NOT be enjoyable can it? My azz would not like it one bit! When I had a Corvette roadster I drove thru eight states on a trip with the top down for all but 6 hours of heavy rain on the Oregon coast but, I was sitting comfortably, not holding onto a bike. On a bike, for a day ride or on tour, I usually stop every hour or so to swap out a piece of gum and have a drink and a smoke. I can’t see riding that fast for that long but in my car I might give it a try.
076A3E45-CA27-4A38-8AD8-9CAB444FE933.jpeg
ECD42B07-9EB7-459A-913E-DBF3089BACBA.jpeg

Its not fun at least to me now . Did a few 675 mile runs in 7 hours , but all conditions were right , super slab for 450 miles of it , and running radar . total stop time was 12 minutes total . Cool to say afterwards , but lots of mind stress averaging 90 plus mph . I did this on the Hayabusa , but had done slightly faster pace on the FJR1300 the year before with the 6.6 gallon tank , but I stopped longer at stations . about 35 minutes .
Nice thing about a bike over a car though is the passing power is just so quick . Even a fast car rarely can pass multiple vehicles as quickly as a bike . Also if needed the bike can squeeze between cars . 7 feet long fits better than the 20 foot car

Its not fun at least to me now . Did a few 675 mile runs in 7 hours , but all conditions were right , super slab for 450 miles of it , and running radar . total stop time was 12 minutes total . Cool to say afterwards , but lots of mind stress averaging 90 plus mph . I did this on the Hayabusa , but had done slightly faster pace on the FJR1300 the year before with the 6.6 gallon tank , but I stopped longer at stations . about 35 minutes .
Nice thing about a bike over a car though is the passing power is just so quick . Even a fast car rarely can pass multiple vehicles as quickly as a bike . Also if needed the bike can squeeze between cars . 7 feet long fits better than the 20 foot car

Agree. I’ve found the metal stress maintaining speed for distance to be quite tiring, paying attention to the road and surroundings, coming up and going by so much faster, the radar detector, revs, temp, approaching traffic (all cops aren’t running radar but can certainly guess your speed w/o it). A buck+ looks way faster than any speed limit. Aircraft cops can be annoying too. Passing is also much better on a bike. The difference in ‘quickness’ compared even to my Vette or my supercharged Caddy is incredible. There are some very lonely roads in Nevada where passing isn’t an issue. Probably better to run with a buddy though. The thought occurred to me one day heading west from Utah across southern Nevada at a buck forty or so that if something were to happen, there’s no telling where I might end up and how long would it take for anyone to find me.

Agree there’s no telling where I might end up and how long would it take for anyone to find me.

On an entrance ramp in Miami there was a Honda leaning on the guard rail with no one around so the assumption was he ran out of gas and walked to a station. The next day they found the guy had lost control on the sweep and bounced over the rail and the bike scrapped along the rail till it stopped in that position. The guy bled out from fairly minor injuries for hours but was dead for about 10 hours.

Back