Grew up in the '80s? Did you have/ride a death machine?

oldgixxer

Registered
I was going through some old pictures with my daughter and stumbled across a bunch of my ATC 250R. So I thought this may be a good topic:laugh:

Who had or enjoyed riding an ATC when you were a kid??? That is,before this CBS 60 Minutes episode ruined it for everyone:banghead:

Man I loved me some ATC's! Always had a dirtbike as a kid but I hustled cutting grass and doing yard work in the neighborhood and was able to save up and buy a used '85 Honda ATC 125M with some help from my Mom. Got it for $400 back in '86 so it was a year old and hardly ridden.

Pull start,dual range transmission,no suspension,not very fast,maybe 45mph tops but man was that thing fun in the trails. Learned a few very important lessons: if you are tipping over on the side,NEVER put your foot down to prevent a tip over lest you run your foot,ankle,calve(in that order)over and make sure BOTH rear tires had exactly the same air pressure or you will veer violently to the left/right(depending which had less pressure) when you wheelied or any time the front wheel didnt have contact with the ground while accelerating.... Beat the snot outta it for a year then sold it and bought a slightly used '85 ATC 250R. Whoa,now this thing was on an entirely different level. A lot of suspension,nasty powerband,kickstarter that kicked forward instead of backwards(awesome for skinning and lumping up your right shin if your foot slipped off whilst kicking to start the engine:banghead:).

That 60 Minutes article turned the public against 3-wheelers and portrayed them as deadly,irresponsible machines that would spell disaster for anybody who throws a leg over one. Honda was the first to pull them from the market,Kawasaki hung in for a little while longer,Suzuki and Yamaha also stopped production quickly as a result. This spelled the end to an era of great machines never to be seen again. :(

So that being said,I had a blast riding these things growing up. Heres a pic of the 125M(google) and a couple that I found in the attic of my 250R. Id load up my pick-up and head down the Garden State Parkway to South Jersey and hit up the miles and miles of sand trails in the Pine Barrens. I melted the OEM piston racing a Banshee down a mile long fire road. I learned that it wasnt a good idea to lock the thumb-throttle wide open for a few minutes on 87 pump gas in 100degree temps with slightly *lean* premix lol. Gave me a reason to go .030" over,mild port work and Boyesen reeds. Man that thing was killer after I did that work. But still couldnt touch my buddies '87 Kawasaki Tecate 250(I posted a random pic). he never disclosed what he did to the engine,and it sucked getting blasted with dirt and rocks cause he was always in the lead lol.

Ended up selling it so I could fund my first street race bike,an '84 GS1150ES. Looking back now,I wish I would have kept it as they are super rare and super expensive in mint condition.

Id enjoy hearing from any of you that had an ATC or rode them back in the day.

**Posting from my phone,cant get the last 2 pics to be upright sorry:banghead:

Picture005.jpg

2131597239_bb7600bd94_z.jpg

IMG_4794 (1).JPG

IMG_4795 (1).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
i have a honda big red 3 wheeler. Have had it since new...i still ride it to this day. Other then a bent head light bracket the thing looks almost new and still runs out like a champ!

picture.JPG

I rode this had 550gpz 1st not really death ride some my friends rode 2cycle 750,s they could b
2uy4vfq.jpg

they rode these things would pack wheelies 4 blocks handling what handling?

5anapt.jpg

Viper,one of the families in the neighborhood had a Big Red,I remember correctly it had reverse and was shaft drive. The father would never allow his son to ride it in the local trails so I only saw it it their yard.

Buddy of mine had one of the 125s w no suspension. He rode the heck out that thing !! Like he stole it!!
I personally had an old Hodaka Dirt Squirt 125 with a 100 engine on it! Lmao!

Had a Honda Big Red in 82. Was a beast. Ran over my feet so many times I can't count! Never broke em tho! Can't even recall the ccs, 250? Gave a friend a ride once and showed him how quick it was... He ended up on his azz. I ended up on his head. Red ended up on us both! Funny as he11, until we realized he fractured his clavical. Wheelies are not for two up. Lol
Same time I had a YZ100, which quickly turned into a yz400, which was one of the dumbest things I ever did. I was all of about 14 and needed more power! I was 6' and 170 lbs, and the 100 was plenty fast but all my friends had 250s. So, begged dad, and traded mine plus cash for a friends 400 (which he raced a season or two).
The memories!
Troy
Oh, and years later my father bought a couple Fat Cats. Wicked fun! Still has one. Two wheeled three wheeler!!

Had a big red. Also had a fractured L-2 and C-5 from it. 6 weeks in a body brace to remember it by.
Still have a couple Hodies in the barn. 1997 Ace 90 and a (I think) 1969 ace 100

I have now what I refer to as a "Trick ankle" because of a 3 wheeler. Sometimes I can be walking along and bamm twisted just right and it hurts for hours to days. Had an 82 GS1100 all chromed out with an 83 1150 fairing that stated my riding career.

Back