Grabby clutch - are all busas like this?

billy

Registered
Hi Guys,

I've just bought a 99 Busa with 3200 miles on the clock. It's in great condition and works just fine... apart from the clutch when setting off. If i give it too many revs, it seems to grab pretty badly and just jerk me forwards before i can pull the clutch back in. I then give it fewer revs and pull away fine. I'd think it's was on it's way out but I also noticed this on a 2000 bike i took on a test ride from a dealer. Are all busas like this (i heard something about a clutch slip mechanism to stop wheels spinning?) or does any one have a suggestion to resolve this. BTW - it's running fully synthetic oil. I've noticed someone mentioning you should use semi-synthetic?

thanks

Billy

YOU DIDNT MENTION IF THE BIKE IS COLD OR NOT MOST BIG BORE BIKES TEND TO BE A LITTLE COLD BLOODED EARLY ON THEN SMOOTH OUT AS YOU GO. YOU MIGHT CONSIDER CHANGING OIL BRANDS JUST TO SEE IF IT WILL GO AWAY. I ONLY USE MOTUL 3100 BLEND IN MY 86 FJ1200 AND MY BUSA, THE FJ HAS 64,00 AND WHEN I LAST PULLED THE CAMS THEY LOOKED BRAND NEW.

If you are use to a cable clutch the hydraulic clutch feels grabby. Give so time you'll like it.
aktion035.gif
aktion035.gif

aktion035.gif

No, the bike's grabbing when hot and cold. I know it's got fully synthetic oil in and i'm thinking of changing it. It just seems to be too fierce a grab for it to be something to get used to. It stops me pulling away very quickly all the time - makes me just trickle the revs on and let the clutch out gently - which can't be a good thing!
confused.gif

The clutch is a semi lock-up.All busas do this,an easy fix is to get the brock davidson (or BDE) clutch mod, it will take care of this for you. Schnitz sells them for 139.00 exchange1-800-837-9730

Thanks Pat

what exactly does this mod do? I'm in the UK - is this something a dealer could sort for me? It seems bizarre that this is what they're like. I'd have thought this board would be full of people bleating like crazy about Busa clutches!

Thanks for the info though.

Rich

My 2002 Hayabusa has a perfectly smooth clutch.

I know the problem you are describing, because I test rode a 2000 model at the dealership before I bought the brand new 2002. The 2000 definitely had an inferior, grabby clutch. The mechanic told me that changing the clutch fluid would make a difference, but I suspect that the clutch was just not in the greatest shape because the previous owner had been an aggressive rider. I say this because the bike had other circumstantial evidence of hard use: worn rear tire, a "woodpecker" decal on the fairing, etc.

Jim

Seems to me...small throttle opening with aggressive clutch release..equals stalling and growling noise.....higher revs and sliding out the clutch.....Didn't work...still growl growl....need to weld it up..

how long have u 2 above had your 2002 ?? ive had mine since nov 20 something the day after thanksgiving.........anyways i have a friend with an 01 and its the same damn thing when u take it up the fuckin clutch grabs......it sux...my thing is i want to keep the back tourque illimator to keep my back tire from looking up but make the clutch no be so grabby does anyone know how to do this..........maybe stiffer springs?

Billy.
Mines a year 200 and Ive had that problem from the word go. I have never been able to slip the clutch for a quick standing start, it just grabs. When the bike is on the move sliping the clutch is no problem. Just learn't to live with it.
One way to look at it is you wont burn the clutch plates out too easily.
What part of the UK are you from?
aktion035.gif

Can anyone post a picture of the differance between a stock inner clutch hub...and a APE part for example....think i have an APE unit but still is grabby off the line...wuz up with that.. :hammerhead: thnx..
it is said the stock piece is two piece..got a foto??
ernaehrung019.gif

John at APE..sez....they have three pieces..billet inner hub,
billet clutch basket,AND..a thing that takes care of the chattering...sprag..something..kit..and use Kendall oil.....
this will give us normal type launch...but it will lockup and skid the rear wheel if not careful during aggressive downshifts...
I am going to look into what APE has for this....
exclamation.gif

Hi there Billy..problem I just had was clutch slip coming from my local bike meet..I thouht maybe stiff joint in clutch lever assembly..when I got home I gave lever a good lubing but it still felt a little jerky..I could here dry creaking noise at slave cilinder area behind rad fill bottle.
I removed a few fasteners from left panel and eased it out abit and shone torch down side of frame..in small cutaway on rear of slave cillinder housing I could see section of clutch push rod..I sprayed lube onto rod whilst pulling lever in and out..outcome all quiet and smooth.
2000 model with 2300 miles on clock.
all the best.

Ride fast and safe.
aktion035.gif

Back