GPS tracker newest generation - 2023 and beyond

Solyom

Donating Member
Registered
Greetings,

I am just wondering has the time come when GPS trackers - in case of unauthorized movement of the bike - reached that point when it worth to take a look. I mean I have checked the earlier threads and back in the days people were afraid about the big brother will check your position and speed and so on, but in our present many of us have smart watches with heart rate monitors, microphones, eSIMs with 4G/5G modems, multiple gps receivers built is so by guess those worries are out of date.

So have you used or heard about someone who has used these new gen devices like Monimoto 7?

In my book those are checking all the boxes:
- small unit, which easily hide able
- has independent power source
- its notification method has low energy consumption and not necessarily ring the bell - pun intended - of a novice thief as it goes through the cellular network
- yearly cost is only a full tank of premium unleaded which goes to the Telecom Service Provider, so the actual manufacturer sell you only the unit itself and lifetime support via the app

Any opinions? Comments?

I've heard good things about the Monimoto on the forums, don't have any personal experience.
A couple of things to think about if your bike gets stolen -

Do you really want your old bike back or would you rather collect the insurance and buy a new one?
Assumption being your old bike may be wrecked, ignition lock broken, etc. if you get it back.

Let's say you've tracked the bike to an address, what do you do then?
Go confront the thief yourself? Call the cops? Most police don't even come out anymore on a property crime.

The Monimoto costs $149 + $49/year for a subscription.
A far cheaper alternative is the Apple AirTag for $29 and no subscription. It does the same thing as the Monimoto from what I can see.

I've heard good things about the Monimoto on the forums, don't have any personal experience.
A couple of things to think about if your bike gets stolen -

Do you really want your old bike back or would you rather collect the insurance and buy a new one?
Assumption being your old bike may be wrecked, ignition lock broken, etc. if you get it back.

Let's say you've tracked the bike to an address, what do you do then?
Go confront the thief yourself? Call the cops? Most police don't even come out anymore on a property crime.

The Monimoto costs $149 + $49/year for a subscription.
A far cheaper alternative is the Apple AirTag for $29 and no subscription. It does the same thing as the Monimoto from what I can see.
Very valid points. I haven't thought about what actions should I take when I get a call from the device, I guess it depends on the exact situation. It worth to think it over as I guess it can help justify (or not) the investment.

In general when the bike is gone already, I am not law enforcement so I doubt I should track them down and do the Equalizer 3 on them. So most probably I should call the police. Their reaction usually depends on your bike worth and your background.
If the bike still in its original parking place and some lowlife try to lift it I believe I try to scare them off. E.g. in front of a hotel or a shopping mall, but in an abandoned parking garage level -3, I guess my thinking could be different.

Related to the insurance, my guess they cover your bike wrecked parts either way or the complete bike if it is written off. The other thing with the insurance could be the discount from their fee IF they give you any when you prove that you have an "anti-theft" device. The debate could be, that how it is an anti-thet device exactly if it is hidden and the thieves won't be aware when they approach the bike, so very much depends on the insurance company.

The Apple airtag, yes it is definitely an option, but currently in most of Europe to enter the Apple wonderland its cost a small fortune itself (not counting the cost of maintaining an Apple lifestyle), so it may doesn't worth it for me as my only Apple product is a standalone 2008 ipod mini which I got from a service provider as a gift due to my subscription.

Thank you for giving my brain a spin around this.

I didn’t realize you live in Europe so maybe the police in your area would react differently than here in the US.
You might call them and ask how they would respond in such a situation.

I agree if you don’t have an iPhone then an Apple AirTag isn’t an answer.
Time to buy a new phone?? lol.

Good luck and Happy New Year

I didn’t realize you live in Europe so maybe the police in your area would react differently than here in the US.
You might call them and ask how they would respond in such a situation.

I agree if you don’t have an iPhone then an Apple AirTag isn’t an answer.
Time to buy a new phone?? lol.

Good luck and Happy New Year
Meanwhile I have checked the tech behind the Airtag. It seems for the similar usage like the GPS+Cellular network based trackers can provide I need to have other iPhone users around the bike across the country to use their bluetooth and their mobile data secretly to get the position of the Airtag. Which in Europe let us say not on that level that in US and not even comparable with cellular coverage. I have discovered an other possible flaw: if any of the thieves has an iPhone, they will be notified that there is an unidentified Airtag "travelling" with them, so they will be aware quickly of this tracking solution. (this is a built in defense system to prevent of an unauthorized use of Airtags)

Same to you!

Too bad you couldn't have a C-4 charge in it with a proximity detonator....once it gets out of range of the proxy device it detonates....that would really give a thief a surprise.....and it could be advertised on the side of the fairing as a theft deterrent....

Suck if you forgot the device in the house and decided to take a ride though...

I didn’t know that an unidentified AirTag could be picked up. Well then that idea is rubbish.

Hmmm, maybe the Monimoto 7 is the way to go.

Back