Got a Sprint Overdrive

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
Since I have been unemployed I have been taking on more and more consulting jobs for businesses in the area.. In the IT field its a necessity to have Internet when you go into a job. I bought a Sprint overdrive this weekend and now have 3G service through this little wireless device. The device is about 3 inches by 3 inches and 1/2 inch thick.. It's basically a wireless hotspot that 5 devices can connect to via WIFI and it sends traffic to the Internet via 3G. IT runs on batteries or you can plug it in, a pretty neat little deal. When 4G comes to our area it is already 4G compatable and I can just pay 10 a month more and get the higher download speeds...

Its pretty slick.....

SWW8013G4G_180.gif

SWW8013G4G_180.gif

Is that stand alone Cap? Pretty peeved at Cox right now, our ISP just went to 50 bucks a month. :poke:

So it creates its own wifi ?
If so can you put it in your pocket and get hi speed net anywhere ?
What kind of EM/Rads or anything like that do these things emit ?
This would be good for laptop use when I travel.
Do you pay for a sprint plan or is the net connection free ?

So it creates its own wifi ?
What kind of EM/Rads or anything like that do these things emit ?
This would be good for laptop use when I travel.
Do you pay for a sprint plan or is the net connection free ?

Yes, it is a WiFi access point; it will hand out 5 IP addresses.

I was over at the Sprint Campus a couple weeks ago and got to play with that and their other new 4G stuff. It's a slick little device; it will be nice to have at the Bash :whistle:

Now that said - if you have an air card and Windows 7, you can turn your Windows 7 laptop into a WiFi access point with Connectify: Connectify - Turn your Windows 7 laptop into a Wi-Fi Hotspot

Yes, it is a WiFi access point; it will hand out 5 IP addresses.

I was over at the Sprint Campus a couple weeks ago and got to play with that and their other new 4G stuff. It's a slick little device; it will be nice to have at the Bash :whistle:

Now that said - if you have an air card and Windows 7, you can turn your Windows 7 laptop into a WiFi access point with Connectify: Connectify - Turn your Windows 7 laptop into a Wi-Fi Hotspot

uhhh...i don't think sprint works in Robbinsville; I know ATT doesn't for sure down in that hole around the hotel....

Yep, thats the plan, it stays in my laptop bag and when I am out and about I can connect to it via Wi Fi and then it transmits via Sprint... You can use it for your Iphone or any other wifi just like at home.

3G is capped at 5gig a month (that is their defination of unlimited)

When 4G comes out it will be 10.00 a month more but will be truly unlimited and the speeds are supposed to be sustainable at 3MB but should burst to 10

How's the speed/throughput cap?

Just like any other 3G I have had, about 1.0 mb down and 300k up.

3G is capped at 5gig a month (that is their defination of unlimited)

When 4G comes out it will be 10.00 a month more but will be truly unlimited and the speeds are supposed to be sustainable at 3MB but should burst to 10
You say the 4G is only $10 more a month, but you neglect to mention how much the 3G is. :poke:

And that limitation is why I've thus far stuck with wired Internet, I'd rather be wireless so I can just pack up and take my computer anywhere, but when you transfer more in one day than they give you in a month, that's kind of a deal breaker.

Here's to hoping 4G truly is unlimited. :beerchug:

uhhh...i don't think sprint works in Robbinsville; I know ATT doesn't for sure down in that hole around the hotel....

Last spring, the Skype video call I did with Shawn that everyone came and viewed...that was done via my ATT card

I will be getting a MyFi next month through Verizon that does the same thing. :)

Back