Gen2 rebuild?

sixpack577

Top Gun
Donating Member
Registered
So I traded my gen2 Busa for an 08 B-king a couple months ago.
Put almost 300 miles on it, and the valve cover started leaking.
No big deal, so I fixed it.
Now the head gasket is leaking, outside, no visible oil contamination yet, although it's probably in there.
The bike sat at the dealer for over a year, and only has 5900 miles on it now:banghead:
The engine is also black, which made it that much harder to see and find exactly where small leaks are coming from, several of them.
So I'm going to get a complete engine gasket kit, after I get our tax refund.
I have the service manual and have done engines before, so no problem, just never did a gen2.
My question is to those those that have rebuilt gen2's.
Are there any tips or tricks that aren't in the manual?
Anyone know what the engine weighs?
I'll just be replacing gaskets and checking tolerances too. No money to bore and stroke, saving that for full exhaust and datalogger.
Thanks for any advice, as I have a while before I start. I'm also going to have to take it to my folks basement, so it'll be a slow go having to drive to work on it.:banghead:

Hey bud, Let me know if you need any help. I might can come down one Sat and help most of the day. My wife comes down there to see her mom every Sat. She is home with Hopis and my wife stays most of the day. Good luck

Hey bud, Let me know if you need any help. I might can come down one Sat and help most of the day. My wife comes down there to see her mom every Sat. She is home with Hopis and my wife stays most of the day. Good luck

Thanks Doug, but it'll be a while yet.
I'll have to wait for the tax refund to get the gaskets, as my bike budget is empty again.
I'll also have to fix it in my parents basement, so alot of it will be spur of the moment. When ever I get a little free time to run over there, nights and weekends.
I appreciate the offer though, and I'll let you know when I plan some time for it.
I can hardly get you out to ride as it is!:poke:

Back