gen I to gen II tail section....done

saygbye

10 sec L
Donating Member
Registered
completed my gen I to gen II tail section. love the look and added the chrome bulbs(front and rear) so you cant see them when they arent flashing.

it wasnt too difficult but its not as simple as some people make it out to be. you better have a few mechanical "skills" or you going to be up the creek without a paddle.

the problems i found are wiring the lights, finding a spot for the rectifier, the lock mech and NO room in the tail section like a gen I.

the wiring isnt hard to figure out its just hard to get the wires where they need to be while installing the tailsection itself.

the rectifier i had to mount 3 different times because of fitment issuses.

the lock mech bracket had to be ground down to get the key to work.

and mounting the compressor and bottle for my air shifter was completly different and i had to "modify" the side of the "trunk" to get them in there. not to mention grinding the bottom side of the hup because of fitment issues with the compressor.

also had to change the positioning of my pcV

genI tail.jpg

naked.jpg

genII tail.jpg

I would keep an eye on that rectifier. There's been a few meltdowns, but that was Gen II folks relocating.

Does look nice. I've got my rectifier relocated in my tail and have ridden thru two Florida summers without problem.

its basically in the same spot that it was originally in just had to remove the braket and tap some holes in the subframe to mount it. but ill def. keep an eye on it thanks.

last pics..

the first is the inside of the genI tail section(more room no wires, no hose, no pcV, it was mounted under the seat)

the second is the inside of the genII tail(nothing but wires, hose and pcV, no room for it under the seat had to go under the hump)

third pic. my index finger is pointing to where i had to grind the hump for clearence of the compressor pump for the air shifter. the rest of the grinding is just something i do to the hump for more space in there.

image.jpg

genII inside.jpg

under genII hump.jpg

Igot to say that at first i didnt take to the gen2 tail but now am liking it,am fortunate too have both and coulnt see parting with either,their such beautiful machinesWhat brand name is that pump because ive been thru 2 orient express air pumps that did not last longer than 3months each,i want to try another brand,the fact is that i hardly ever used them,go figure.And yours looks much smaller,more space.

thats the inside of a $20 air pump from walmart. just buy it, take it apart and get the pump out. thats what all the CHEAPSKATES around here do. i had one on my last bike that was over 3 years old and i used it a lot. this one is a year old and works great too.

Back