Gen 2 Rpm Fluctuation, Intermittently Cutting Out.

zer0gh0st

Registered
Bike is running just fine then once it warms up my rpms jump up and down. It seems to be more of an issue in 1st-3rd gear. It was only doing it at 3500-4500 rpms but now its all over the place. My tps was out of whack so I purchased a new one. Now the bike is just turning off after it starts doing this. Not receiving any error codes at all.
I'm going to go through and just start cleaning fliters checking hoses etc but Id love to hear any ideas of what it could be.

What gen is it, how many miles, fuelpump in tank or out of tank, any modifications, any previous work done on it, any other symptoms?

Gen 2, just rolled 10k miles. Have a pc. Fuel pump is in the tank I would imagine, but havent had to take this one apart much yet.

Could try testing your temperature sensor, that screws into the head, it could be faulty, giving the ecu wrong information, if it's temperature related.
Have you tried disconnecting the pc?

I don't think I can just disconnect the pc. It looks like its all wired in or they threw away the stock wiring harness and I dont have it.
I checked the connections on it that they say can be a problem on the pc website. Everything seems legit.
The bike runs perfect for about 10 mins then my idle drops to 900-1000 rpms and starts jumping up and down by a few hundred if you hold it anywhere in between 3-6k ish rpms. If I stay above that it seems fine. Once it sits for ten minutes it runs fine again. Driving me insane.

If it's a dynojet powercommander you can zero it out with the dipswitches from memory

I don't think I can just disconnect the pc. It looks like its all wired in or they threw away the stock wiring harness and I dont have it.
I checked the connections on it that they say can be a problem on the pc website. Everything seems legit.
The bike runs perfect for about 10 mins then my idle drops to 900-1000 rpms and starts jumping up and down by a few hundred if you hold it anywhere in between 3-6k ish rpms. If I stay above that it seems fine. Once it sits for ten minutes it runs fine again. Driving me insane.
Can you try another tps on the bike? I know you said that you've already changed it but your symptoms are of a faulty one.
I have no experience with pcs but I would think that you can take of the insulation tape and just reconnect the coulour coded wires of the original loom back together.

I dunno. Gonna get a 0 map and try it with that. Seems odd to only happen when its warm. I have no way to get a third tps without dropping snother 200 bucks

Make sure you double check and calibrate the TPS on the power commander, a new sensor may throw off the old settings.

I thought I was experiencing problems with my PC 3 on my '08 & was told to do this; "Should just be able to pop the tank and disconnect it at the injectors, and then plug the factory harness directly back to the injectors". If your uncertain, you can check the pc3 installation instructions on the internet, which you can view the pictures. Tried it, it did work without the PC3 but that wasn't the problem so I reconnected it & it went back to normal. Good luck.

How does one calibrate the tps to the pc5? I did calibrate the tps though by putting it in dealer mode. The tps shows its fine. The bike runs fantastic, for about 10 mins. but at least the tps shows center now.

Ok, I updated the firmware on my pc5 and calibrated the tps as called for. The idle is good now and its cutting out less but still around 3-4 rpm it will jump up and down if you try to hold the throttle there. It did it at 6k as well a few times. Definitely improved though. oh, I updated the map too. It is running top notch until it gets hot then it just jumps. The updates and calibration got rid of a lot of the problem. Any ideas on what else I can do?

Were you able to calibrate the TPS on the power commander as well?
If not connect to it with a Computer, open the power commander software and I think it's under power commander tools there is an option to calibrate the
TPS sensor in the PCV to match the bike.

you will need to calibrate both the closed and wide open values

Yeah I calibrated it to the pcv. After checking it out some more I just took everything out. It seems my pc is the culprit. Everything shows up correct and I have the right maps etc but proof is in the pudding. I rode for 6 hours yesterday without a hickup minus the pc. Even with a zero map it didnt work. I just assume my pc went bad. I appreciate the help.

Back