Gen 1 rectifier plug short

Kevbrah

Registered
I was having some charging problems so I replaced the old battery, didn't help. Checked stator voltage since it was easy to get to. Checked out good. Finally took the tail off and the plug was fried and crumbling with some arcing. I wire tied and electrical taped it all up and now its charging fine.

Is there a better permanent solution or should i just keep an eye on it? I have read those plugs are a notorious failure point on a lot of Suzuki models.

Took the bike out for a long cruise to see how the charging system was working. About an hour in I lost all power to my gauges, tail light, and turn signals. Headlight was still working and I still had engine power.

I Stopped and shut it down. Turned it over and no starter. I figured maybe the battery was fried but the stator and rectifier were working fine since I had spark, fuel, and the fans were working. I push started it and took it home to check everything out.

Got home and the battery was great, 13 volts. I checked the 30 amp fuse near the starter relay and that was good too. Opened up the dash fuse panel and the frigging blinker fuse was out? The blinker fuse took out my instrument cluster, starter, and all my lights?

I swapped out the 15amp fuse from the high beam and sure enough everything worked fine.

Hopefully it was just an old fuse and there isn't a hidden short someplace, but just to be sure they are good I changed my blinker fluid.

Upgrade the stator/rectifier! Powerhouse offers this service as well as Ricks

Thats a lot of work and money . Those ricks "improved" parts aren't cheap. I think I'll just solder the wires and get some insulated wrap for now.

Ain't cheap but it'll fix the problem, sometimes it's better to pay more now and have less worry in the future :laugh:

I have to agree with 1busa. Upgrade and be done, otherwise it may leave you stranded. Cheap is not always the best or the cheapest. This also goes along with chains.

Took the bike out for a long cruise to see how the charging system was working. About an hour in I lost all power to my gauges, tail light, and turn signals. Headlight was still working and I still had engine power.

I Stopped and shut it down. Turned it over and no starter. I figured maybe the battery was fried but the stator and rectifier were working fine since I had spark, fuel, and the fans were working. I push started it and took it home to check everything out.

Got home and the battery was great, 13 volts. I checked the 30 amp fuse near the starter relay and that was good too. Opened up the dash fuse panel and the frigging blinker fuse was out? The blinker fuse took out my instrument cluster, starter, and all my lights?

I swapped out the 15amp fuse from the high beam and sure enough everything worked fine.

Hopefully it was just an old fuse and there isn't a hidden short someplace, but just to be sure they are good I changed my blinker fluid.

same thing happened to me when rear tire rubbed license plate wires. that's why you blew fuse for lights. so I'd say there is a short sumwhere.

Upgrade the stator/rectifier! Powerhouse offers this service as well as Ricks

+1...i went with Powerhouse's set-up and haven't looked back...i knew with my luck, i would either be riding in the rain about 500 miles from home or about to give some beautiful new chick a ride when the whole thing decided to catch on fire and leave me standing there with my thumb out :laugh: there aren't very many things i hate more than a vehicle that won't do what i want when i'm ready to go!!! :banghead:

as far as the fuses go - the bike has far fewer fuses than it has electrical circuits. any single fuse will supply power to multiple circuits. you couldnt start the bike because the fuse that blew was the fuse that ALSO powered the starter solenoid. Just an FYI.

also if you are running many extra* electrical appliances on the bike, its a good idea to bump up the stator/rectifier. I would also highly recommend replacing the broken plug - even if you re-wire it to a sealed connector like a weather-pack or metric-pack or deutsch connector.

Electrical Wire Connectors & Quick Splices

Can someone post a picture of where this connector is on the bike? I'm used to the 2003 model but it didn't have the big heatsink thing in front of the back tire (voltage regulator?). I'd like to check mine since the previous owner said he changed the battery not long ago. I haven't had time to check charging voltage while running yet.

Back