gearing, speed, and extending ?????

onetimedownbusa

Registered
ok so ive searched and i havent found what im looking for so here goes. ive ordered 16/42 gears so what is my top speed loss going to be? and is it going to be extremely hard to keep down at wot? i plan on doing a 4 or 6 stretch and im already dropped 2 1/2 and 3 so i figured that will help alot but before i stretch is it gonna be impossible to keep down and please help with the speed question. thanks guys peace

could you please explain your suggestion. is the 16/42 good if not extended?  thanks mr cheese
bowdown.gif

bowdown.gif

42 if im not mistaken is even more torque right?
44 i mean

<!--EDIT|onetimedownbusa
Reason for Edit: "im stupid"|1086250089 -->

bowdown.gif

none of the gearing will give the bike more torque. It will feel that way because the gearing is lower. I know quite a few guys running 16/42 on stock length bikes. Seems to be fine to me.

sorry i didnt mean to sound like an idiot. i know it wont give more torque. my words were not what i meant. im trying the 16/42 setup and ill change it after a month or so and ill run all of them at the track to see which one gets me the most dead zx10's
grim.gif

im still waiting on my sprockets and chain but for the guys who have this same setup as far as gearing. did you run at the track before and after the regear and what was the difference? im curious what to look for. thanks Peace

ok i got my chain and sprockets today! my old chain and sprockets are perfect and show verry very little wear so i just installed the 42 tooth rear sprocket to see how it is and im pretty happy. it was a little wet out so i didnt really get to test it but the low end but dyno is definately registerung higher! ill ride more tomorrow and ill decide if im going to put on the 16 toothe front right now. ill be stretching it in a month or so so maybe ill do it then cause my fear is to much low end for daily riding. this is a must do for you guys who may be stock or near stock and getting used to the power. the sprockets are both Afam chromeolly or how ever it is spelled. they also weigh about half as much as stock which is good if you dont know.(unsprung weight is bad for acceleration!)

thanks ninjaeater for the brand info, they are real nice
beerchug.gif

alright i got the regear completed with both sprockets installed and the biggest difference i can notice is on the interstate cruising at indicated 90mph which is really high 70's i can punch it and it pulls real strong. so i can go from the speed limit to limiter and not have to shift and not be boggin out down low. in my opinion regardless of which gearing you do, do it! if your used to the power as i was and are not interested in going 200 anymore. for cruising around town especially, you wont catch yourself in the wrong gear because there isnt one. spinning at wot in 3rd can be done whenever you choose and i cant wait to run the 1/4 to see whats up if i can keep her down! i think just the unsrung weight reduction has alot to do with throttle response and it seems to be just right. i rode 260 miles on them and am very happy so far. peace guys.
race.gif

install was a snap and if you can get someone to hold the ear brake while you brack the front sprocket nut loose youll have a much easier time. and while its off clean all the od dirt and chainlube off the roller and anywhere else it might be in there. and ive read it in a post before but i used an 1 1/4 socket not an 1 1/8 like i found on another post

Back