Gas Everywhere

OB_Bikenut

Registered
I was near my 600 mi. service the other day, so I took the bike out today to get over 600 so I could change the oil and clean the air filt. Got back from my ride and took off the hump and seat, propped the tank up and started working on taking the r/s fairing off, when I heard a sound like running water. Then the strong aroma of gas, looked below the bike and saw gas pouring down. Looked under the tank to see ot spewing out of the bottom of the tank, where the return hose used to be. Man was I pissed! Grabbed the hose and slid it back on. It went back on real easy, but should never be that way that's for sure. I know this topic has been posted before, just never thought it would happen to me. I am going to call suzuki tomorrow as well as the national highway safety administration. This was a big oversight on suzuki's behalf and a major safety issue as well. Seems like this would eventually happen to all hayabusa's as the design is piss poor.......Mine is a 2000 red-n-grey.

PLease do that Bikenut and make sure you tell them you are a quaified Suzuki tech working on the bike with the manual in front of you.Because it states that in the manual.
Not to razz you but you should have known this you even stated you saw posts on it.
Give me a brake you do it and it should be a recall some one else does it and its oops?

Happened to me also when I was taking off the tank bra. Could you post the number and I'll give them a call on this also.

I knew of posts on this, but didn't know about y2k bikes. I thought it was for 99 bikes because of improper routing. I'm not quite sure what you mean johnny, do you think it's a bad idea to tell suzuki and the ntsb about this?? Or should I let my dealer handle it? Somewhat confused......

I read the posts and had no problem with the hoses when I did my 600 mile service.

You just have to watch what you are doing when you lift the tank.

The only real problem I've had is getting the hoses from my carb sync tool to fit on those tiny Suzuki vacuum fittings (I will be fabricating adapters for the next time I do it).

No the 2000 model does not have a breather tank in the way of the hoses that is what the imformation bulliten was on the 99's
I have done at least 20 (2000 models) and never have had one come off.The point is if you lift your tank up you must be gentale.
I you did write them they would ask you those questions that I posted.the clamp is a good clamp but if the motor is hot the rubber does have a tendicy to be soft.
I was being sarcastic(sp?) on the other post I have not had this problem and only one of my customers that did some of his own work said it would come off easy if you were not careful.
Would I write or call NO I learned something
Ps at 600 miles unless you have a CA bike there is no reason to go under the tank.

Hose came off on my 99 almost caught it in time when I lifted my gas tank.It's the hose right under the gas tank,it has a real cheap hose clamp type setup.

I doubt Suzuki is going to do anything about it, especially coming from someone that was working on a bike in their living room. I'm not trying to dog you for working on your own bike. I did the same thing myself. I just know better than to lift the tank up to high from now on. If the clamp were to tight, it would most likely damage the hose to the point were you couldn't stop the bleeding without using the little plugs they have under the back seat.

maybe the hose should be about 1/2"-1" longer. If you think it's that big a problem just replace the hose with one that's slightly longer.

The front hose came off on me the first time I raised my tank (2000). when I picked up the hose to try to slip it back on the little retainer went "ding" and bounced across the floor. then the spring covering the hose came half way off and I had to jurk it the rest of of the way off so I could get the hose back on long enough to stop the gushing gas. Gas was shooting out of the hose too. I could not believe how much was in there. My house and basement stunk for 3 days.

While I agree that the hose clamp is of a good design ie. constant tension. It does not however have enough tension. This whole situation happened in my living room as I do not have a garage and the bike is stored in my kitchen. The results could be far worse if left uncorrected. I did what I was supposed to and was careful. Yes the bike was hot, I just drove it 30 mi, and it is common knowlege that oil should be changed when the engine is warm. It didn't even come off when the tank was lifted, came off 10 min
later. I still am going to contact suzuki and national safety because I believe this could lead to a serious accedent or fire.
The ph#'s are in the owners manual for anyone interested.......

I went to take inch off mine due to it being kinked, couldn't get the origional hose and clamp off! took ages. When I did put the hose back minus the offending inch petrol kept seeping from it. Put a worm clamp on and that fxed it. Hose is still kinking. Ordered Stainless steel over braided fuel hose (1/4 inch I.D. FYI)today plus nice looking clamps to fit and bottle of red line injector cleaner. Coming tomorrow. Cant wait.

Stay Safe

NumbNuts

FYI - problems with bikes or cars should be reported to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) - NOT the National Traffic Safety Board (NTSB). The latter investigate airplane crashes, train crashes, etc. after the fact. The former is set up just for cars, trucks and motorcycles and is in charge of investigations and recall orders for those vehicles. Potential defects or noncompliances can be reported on NHTSA's website at http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov

ps: FWIW - I agree that sounds like a problem. Something a simple screw-type hose clamp could address.

Numbnuts, who did you order your Red Line injector cleaner through. I'm having a heck of a time finding the stuff.

JokerJ
I got it through Deamon Tweaks, but that won't help you coz I'm in the UK!!

Have found this place nearer to home that sells it too and I don't have to pay carriage as I can go and pick it up (hazadous liquid costs a lot to package over here! more than a bottle of the stuff, in fact more than 2 bottles of the stuff.)

That stainless braided hose DONT FIT!! the hose that comes off the Busa, when it gets back to normal size is 1/4 inch ID. BUT the outlets it has to fit over are MUCH BIGGER. I ended up getting another piece of 8mm ID, heating in boiling water and greasing outlet on pump. Tank one is no problemo.

StaySafe

NumbNuts

Here's funny---dyno operator was trying to figure where to hook up the tach input and pulled my tank up too high, pulled the tank hose off sitting on the dyno!!! Probably dumped a 1/4 tank all into the dyno, he was freaking out, couldn't get it back on because of the coiled spring. It was a riot, he then spent 1/2 hour mopping up the mess. I replaced those cheap *** "clamps" with reg. hose clamps, not a worry now. BTW, WTF, Suzuki??? You sell me $11K of bike with that cheap crap on it??

I did the 600 mile service on my 2000 black/grey and after reading several posts about fuel lines I carefully lifted the tank and also found the fuel line only pushed on half way and the mickeymouse clamp not anywhere near the brass fitting. These boards are great sources of info.

I call nhtsa and suzuki. I got replys from both, though suzuki was of little help.
nthsa was however. They are sending me the forms to fill out and sign, they said after they get them back they will investigate. I hope all of you that had a similar problem will as well......

I got Fuel injection hose clamps to replace the cheapies. They are not a worm drive clamp, and do not cut into the hose.
Cost is like .75 a piece and are available through napa auto parts stores. I was in the process of replacing the 2 on the tank when I looked at the ends at the fuel pump\filter assy. The one was half way off! I did notice that the 2 hoses at the tank take 2 different size clamps. The return being smaller, though the hose itself seems to be the same size as the other. I did not actually measure them but look the same, and the return nipple is smaller. It may be possible that they used a smaller clamp on the return at the tank to make up for smaller nipple. If anyone knows this please let me know. Don't take chances with this problem....u only live once!

Yes there are 2 different hoses.Unfoutunatly now that you started the paper work I can no longer discuss this item.Sorry but I have to play by Rules.(not mine)

Back