Full synthetic or blend?

moondog

Donating Member
Registered
Went to the dealership on Friday, thinking about switching to a full synthetic oil this time around. The busa just turned 4000 miles, I figure it should be broken in by now, especially the way I ride it. I was really thinking about silkolene and knew the dealer wouldn't carry it but wanted to see what they did carry and what they recommend. Talking to my favorite tech, he says to go with a blend, like Motul, because of the wet clutch. According to him, a full syn is hard on the clutch plates. From what I hear on the boards, I always thought a full synthetic was the way to go. He also told me that I should wait until 8000 miles, that in his opinion, the bike was NOT fully broke in yet. Walked away with Suzuki oil, again.

I dunno, I still think the majority of what you hear regarding Synthetic oil and Clutches is so much Urban Legend or Old School "What I heard" thinking. But thats just my .02. I am not a motorcycle tech, but I have yet to read anything from any credible source that can say for a fact that modern full synthetics cause problems. I have read that high levels of friction modifiers can cause problems but the only Oil I know of that uses really high levels of Moly (Slippage) is MAXXUM. So I dunno, Go with what you are comfortable with, that way you are not dissapointed...

I haven't noticed any problems in Lilah over the last 4K miles or so though.... All I notice is smooth tranny action...

Your tech has some funny ideas. At 4000 miles, the motor is fully broken in. Synthetic oil won't make your clutch slip. The only time I ever heard of that happening was on a Vmax doing ultra hard drag strip launches, and then, only a small amount.

-Timmah

Now what I have read about synthetics is that if you have a higher mileage, old motor you may see more leakage as the new oil seeps through old gunk and past worn seals.  I have heard this before as a reason why a lot of your old school thinkers say synthetic will cause leaks.  

Also, if you have a borderline clutch that is about dead, then you add synthetic; the synthetic can make your already worn clutch slip more than it was with dino oil.  This is what had led to the "synthetic oil damages wet clutches" concept.  This is all 2nd or 3rd hand information that I am regurgitating however so take it FWIW.

I look at "Blends" as sort of Budget minded half measures. A product trully designed to give the consumer a warm and fuzzy while not realy doing much in terms of performance. I also feel that way about a lot of the Type II and Type III synthetic base-stocks out there. Products designed to a marketing pricepoint, not designed to actually provide a performance boost or extra protection.

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1088898088 -->

I'm with atticgog. AMSOIL all the way. It is a full synthetic and has no friction modifiers. It is wet clutch compatible.I use it in everything. Truck, dirt bike, and my busa.It provides a nice smooth shift.It also has a longer service life and protects against engine wear better than the rest.They offer a 10w-40 a20w-50 mainly for Harleys and a 0w-40.The dealer told me the same thing about useing a full synthetic.
AMSOIL WORKS GREAT.

http://www.puresynthetics.com

I switched my Busa over to Motul 15w50 semi-synthetic at 1,600 miles after changing it with regular oil at 500 miles. The local dealer I trust most advised against full synthetic and they race several dealership-owned and backed dirt and road-race bikes.

There were two things I noticed after about five miles with the new oil - the transmission shifting became smoother and more effortless and the clutch lever's engagement point moved out a half-inch or so. The second one kind of surprised me and made me think that there might be something to those old wives' tales about wet clutches and full synthetic oils. It doesn't slip or anything; the engagement point just changed.

I just changed the oil and filter again and used the same oil but in 10w40 weight and think the shifting became a little rougher, although it could be from the hotter weather or just my imagination. But I'm going back to the 15w50 next time.

Ed

Back