Frame up build?

gt500freak

Registered
I've been looking at purchasing an 08 busa for months now, but the wife getting laid off threw a wrench in those plans. A buddy of mine suggested something to me and I don't know if its possible or even feasible. He suggested buying a used frame from ebay or something and just buying all the pieces as money allowed and build an 08 hayabusa from scratch. Has anyone ever done this or know if its possible?

I do have descent mechanical abilities and will have my friends help if I pursue this route. Just looking for all your opinions on this. Thanks!

Of course its possible. The only problem is that most people sell individual busa parts to make a profit. The sum of those parts would equal a far greater cost than buying even a used one. Good luck whatever you decide.

Of course its possible. The only problem is that most people sell individual busa parts to make a profit. The sum of those parts would equal a far greater cost than buying even a used one. Good luck whatever you decide.

What he said... Save your money and get a whole bike. Oh, and :welcome:

If anything,buy one lightly damaged and start from there. Having built several this way, the cost to do a piece by piece would almost exceed the cost of a new bike:thumbsup:

frame.jpg

If anything,buy one lightly damaged and start from there. Having built several this way, the cost to do a piece by piece would almost exceed the cost of a new bike:thumbsup:

This would be a better idea IMO as even getting parts from fleabay, craigslist etc would take a lot of time and money.

that would be alot of fun :) but it wouldn't save you any cash... theres alot of special tools that you would have to buy.

thanks for the suggestions. i may just try to find a wrecked one or something, strip down all the crap that needs replaced and then go from there... if i could find one with a good frame and good engine I would be happy. any other opinions would be appreciated.

thanks for the suggestions. i may just try to find a wrecked one or something, strip down all the crap that needs replaced and then go from there... if i could find one with a good frame and good engine I would be happy. any other opinions would be appreciated.

That sounds like the best idea. Take some time to look around and get a feel for prices on all parts that are likely to be broken. If you need to replace fairings and want them stock color and reasonably good condition the $$ will go up, fast. One the other hand, a little bodywork and some one color paint job can be your best friend. Research first, check the classified adds here too

Buying an insurance total is a great way to go, especially if you have a place to leave it secure for months to work on it. I, too, have done that a few times on various bikes and "the project" becomes a great hobby unto itself....as well as spreading the costs out over time. Depicted below is my current project, a naked Hayabusa Superbike. Good luck in your search, it's worth it! Raydog

P1030090.JPG

P1030092.JPG

as said a great hobby & a lot of fun to build one from the floor upwards if time allows , ive been building an old yamaha 350lc for three years now,

Just like Raydog is doing is the best way to go. And when all is spent and done your bike will truly be yours, the best part is you'll know you bike inside & out

+1...get a wrecked one for pennies on the dollar. You can find frames with titles on ebay for around $1000 where companies buy brand new busa's and use the drivetrain for custom buggy and chopper bikes. That way you get a frame with a clear title instead of a rebuilt one.:thumbsup:

Check on getting it registered in your state as well. Frame only undamaged might equal stolen, just saying..........

thats why you get one with a good title Bob. Cmon...you're making us "roberts" look bad. :poke:

Back