Frame Sliders, 2 " hole saw vs 1 3/4"

black07busa

Registered
Just installed my frame sliders (Pro Tek). In the instructions on the back of the package it says use a 2" whole saw. To play it safe I got a piece of old plastic and drilled it with the 2" hole saw, then I took the slider and placed it inside to check the clearence. It was to much in my opinion, if I made a hole that big on my fairing it would look dreadfull, especially on the side (near your left knee) where there is an allen bolt holding the fairing. The 2" hole would either come to close or overlap into the hole were the existing bolt was. So I tried a 1 3/4", and drilled a test piece again, it gave me a nice fit. After that I went through the regular steps to find the center point on the engine bolt, and drilled the fairings. :please: then mounted the sliders, great fit, they have clearence but you can barelly see the gap.:cheerleader: The hole saw I used was a Milwakee part# 49-56-0100. There is a 1 7/8" if you have a slder that may be a little bigger part# 49-56-0110, but i would try and use the smallest slider as possible to avoid drilling into the factory allen bolt. I will try and post some pics later.

The manufacturer probably gave a little additional clearance for those less talented.

Great job, now

:worthless:

You should have checked out the lsl sliders,they don't require a large hole maybe size of a 50 cent piece and once slider mounted you don't see it...

He decided to install them after he scratched up a custom paint job..

Picture 4627.jpg

Maybe the size recommended was to allow for movement of the slider if it was ever dropped, ya know what I'm saying? If your bike is moving forward and hits the slider and it bends back you would have room for it to bend freely and not be so tight up against the plastic. Just a thought.

Maybe the size recommended was to allow for movement of the slider if it was ever dropped, ya know what I'm saying? If your bike is moving forward and hits the slider and it bends back you would have room for it to bend freely and not be so tight up against the plastic. Just a thought.

Good point.

That does look good, Very clean looking and no gap, But as BOB said if you were to lay her down, If there was any movement of the slider it could crack the plastics because there is no room for movement.

But I love the clean look. ( Double edged sword ) :thumbsup:

I just couldn't drill a hole that big in my fairing, it would look just terrible. I put the sliders on in case I have one of those dumb moments with the kickstand, or some other driveway mishap. I had a TL100R once and got of balance pushing it in the garage, laid her down softly and had a bunch of chips from the concrete on panel, sucked a$$. I also thought about the slider moving, but figured I'd take a chance because they don't always move. Steel, and chrome sliders tend to get caught in the road when attempting to slide. Thats why I went with sliders made from Delrin, it has a low coefficient of friction "slides real easy", compared to steel, or chrome. They actually use it as a bearing in caster wheels. Nylon is also good to use because it has a high impact strength. Hope fully I'll luck out and never have to find out. Not all sliders are created equal.

Agreed, I bought my bike and the frame sliders were already on it and as close a fit as you did yours.

Here's a picture of the right side that the bike didn't go down on. As you can see nice close fit like yours.

100_0616.jpg

Here's the side it did slide on. The bolt didn't move but the delrin on the slider moved enough that it cracked fairing around the slider. Your mileage may vary, just some food for thought.

100_0539.jpg

On a good note, you could use a super long frams slider as a footrest on long trips. I'm just sayin...

very tight fit... good job bro... perfect! mine came out fine too but not that tight... will post pics soon.

I was hanging out with my buddies Sunday, and we were curious if you ever diagnosed why your slider moved that much?. Did the slider itself break, was there any inserts, or did the bolt itself bend? Some of my friends have been down and the sliders held up, but we still want to prevent what happened in your case.

Back