First Time Poster... Be Kind :)

Tony_Beech

Registered
Hello all,

I have took my bike off the road to service it.. plugs, filters and oil... nothing too deep but the FI light was on on the dash (2000 on a W plate) but no obvious changes in the engine performance... so I thought it might be down to a service so, with nothing to lose, went for the usual. Problem is, when I took off the air box, I was presented with this evidence and probable cause (see picture). I appear to have had a mouse living on top of my rubber weather guard where the spark plugs sit. He has eaten the 2 wires you see in the picture. They are come from number 3 spark plug and connect to the ends you see that go off through the frame. I think they are a sensor rather than anything serious. Might this explain my FI light being on and if so, do I need any special wire to reconnect or will anything do? (I mean is it a current loaded wire or not). Any help appreciated...

DSCN0371.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
match the gauge of the existing wire, make a good solid connection with a high quality solder, and insulate it well with shrinkable tubing and you'll be alright. And yes that's a problem.

I think those are just your horn wires
Don't think that will cause the FI light
Jump the dealer connector and find the code.....while you have the tank up, just in case you need to get back under it

match the gauge of the existing wire, make a good solid connection with a high quality solder, and insulate it well with shrinkable tubing and you'll be alright. And yes that's a problem.
You should have seen it before I used the hoover. The little sod has eaten the foam and made his bed from the surrounds for the intake ducts! Im not sure its the horn, it splices off the feed for number 3 spark plug?

You should have seen it before I used the hoover. The little sod has eaten the foam and made his bed from the surrounds for the intake ducts! Im not sure its the horn, it splices off the feed for number 3 spark plug?

Yup 12v feed for coils and horn. In the picture I could not see it ate the coil wire end also
Coil lead WILL cause the FI light

What he said ^^^^^^^^^

Pretty sure Zook didn't send any bikes off the line with wires cut.

This just reminded me to refill my bait stations. Frigging rat got into the engines of our cars last winter and ate the battery surround on wifes Kia and started on the hood insulation on my car.

Okay.. I now have a horn that works! Thank you 202mphbusa, I couldnt see it last night as it was dark but now its daylight, I can see I would have found it if Id have looked properly. I think I have found and fixed my FI light, the 3 wires that form the TPS, one of them was munched. That's been solder repaired too now. However, I have now noticed the little poop has chewed through the leak off pipes from the back of the carbs. 2 are damaged... 1 is actually missing... chewed off and missing, the other is just cut in half. I might as well change all the pipes. Any ideas where I could source replacements? OR should I just use generic fuel pipe?

Wow...any auto parts store should have the line. Its nothing too special.

Okay, I have changed the spark plugs, dropped the oil, flushed the oil and put fresh back in. The oil filter was good time welded on. I had to knock a long flat screwdriver right the way through it to create a lever but it came off eventually. Absolute nightmare tight that was. So.... it had a coolant leak. As I had the lower fairing off, I could see where the coolant was running but couldn't find the source until I removed the expansion tank.... it came out in my hand... it was no longer connected to anything at all. The mouse had eaten through the top pipe that feeds the radiator!!! So now I know where that leak has originated from, I need a new radiator feed pipe. I'm going to get a hose from my local hydraulic place I think, can't see one on ebay. Anyone got any better suggestions?

Right, the FI light is off. I found 3 more wires he had munched through. One looked like it was the return from the alternator back to the loom. I think it might have been powered as it had a proper plug on it. But the FI light is off, the horn now works and after its service, it starts immediately and ticks over lovely now. Need the coolant going back in it and its done. For now. :)

Back