Fear of Bridges

DougE

Registered
I already have a fear of heights but was able to drive across high bridges without any issues. I would cross the Chesapeake Bay Bridge in MD on the motorcycle without any issues. On a windy day, I crossed another tall bridge on 95 and the crosswinds pushed the busa from the left lane to the middle lane. I was leaning to the side trying to keep the bike straight. Those were the longest two minutes of my life. As soon as i got off the bridge, my legs felt like jelly and I was shaking.

After this incident, I have developed a fear of bridges. I went on another (Key Bridge in Baltimore) yesterday and i started shaking as soon as I was driving up on it. It was a scary feeling but not sure how to move forward with this.

And of course with most bridges, there's no turning back. Had the same experience crossing the Richmond-San Rafael (I-580) in No Cal. It wasn't the bridge, the height, the 36" rails, or the surface type - until the wind started pushing the Busa around - and then it was all of the above.

I've moved forward with a very healthy respect of riding conditions such as this - and the comfort of knowing if I do go over, it'll make the six o'clock news.

And of course with most bridges, there's no turning back. Had the same experience crossing the Richmond-San Rafael (I-580) in No Cal. It wasn't the bridge, the height, the 36" rails, or the surface type - until the wind started pushing the Busa around - and then it was all of the above.

I've moved forward with a very healthy respect of riding conditions such as this - and the comfort of knowing if I do go over, it'll make the six o'clock news.
Hi. road my ZX 11 over a bridge in a hurricane leaned way over as the wind came from the left then the wind shifted, came from the right. Went to my friends shop as we were going out on his 51 ft sail boat to keep it from getting wrecked on the dock. It was a cat 2 winds around 100 to 110. I have always lived life in the fast lane.

It’s just wind which as cyclists, we simply have to deal with it. In our cars we’ve gotten used to feeling safe no matter what the outside conditions are. Not so on a bike. The velocity crossing a high bridge is there because whatever wind there is blows over (and) under which increases the blast we have to deal with. Only one time did I have to turn around due to a severe side wind. Luckily I was only a couple hours from home. I’ve had to stop a few times to wait it out on tour too. I cross a few small bridges on my daily rides around here that were made in the 1920s. Just remember, your fears are just that, fears. And fears can be overcome.

Going over I have no issues with. But if I get stuck in a traffic jam and stuck, stationary on the bridge, I start having anxiety and panic attacks.
I understand where you're coming from
Hi. I love it when you can feel the bridge moving under you. When I am in a plain the more turbulence the better. In Nam I liked to sit on the deck of the bird with my feet out in the wind. I did not like flying in fog while in a valley you had no way of knowing where the cliffs were.

Tidewater is the land of bridges. I have crossed the Chesapeake Bay bridge many times. I once was the last person they let cross before closing the bridge (in my Outback). There were waves breaking over the road! I always ride to the middle of the bridge to give myself as much reaction time as possible to wind gusts. But remember if the wind is pushing you to the shoulder then it's pushing oncoming traffic into you! Personally, I don't think there is a way around this fear (I have it too, even though I love heights). You just have to get into your "rational mind" and suppress it.

The Bay Bridge is so beautiful it overrides the fear for me though. Zooming along on a sunny day on a bridge that looks like it's literally across the middle of the ocean is fantastic. It's funny though because as the bikers are all going slow on the bridge (which is prudent) cars slow to an irrationally low pace in the tunnels.

We have a notorious bridge here called the High-Rise bridge. It's very high to allow large ships to access the shipyards. Not only is it 8-9 stories high, but it also has a draw section on top that is a steel grating. Look down when you cross this and you can see the water! As if that wasn't enough, when the bike goes over the grates it wiggles as the tires follow the weave of the grating. This is about as scary as it gets! The trick is to loosen the grip on the bars and just let the bike do its thing.

Not to get too metaphysical, but fear is your sub-conscience telling you something. My riding mentor was real big on how great riders acknowledge their fear, analyze it and decide if a reaction is necessary. But they always ride in their analytical mind. You can train yourself to do this. I decided to figure out why I was afraid of bridges. I'm comfortable with heights. I am not claustrophobic so I don't feel trapped. Turns out it was two things: 1. the rails are low, especially perched atop the BMW. I had a sub-conscience fear of flying over the rails. 2. Turns out I am uncomfortable in empty space. On the road, there is a shoulder, then grass, then trees, etc. On a bridge, there is the road and then you are airborne! So, when I ride on a bridge I focus on the centerline, sort of like you look at the outside line on a road at night so you aren't looking into people's headlights. As for the railing, I just slow down. I tell myself that the outside alley is not a good escape route if something happens. It actually worked! I don't feel the panic I used to on a bridge. I still get nervous, but it's much more manageable.

Sorry for the long post!
Bay Bridge 02.jpg

Tidewater is the land of bridges. I have crossed the Chesapeake Bay bridge many times. I once was the last person they let cross before closing the bridge (in my Outback). There were waves breaking over the road! I always ride to the middle of the bridge to give myself as much reaction time as possible to wind gusts. But remember if the wind is pushing you to the shoulder then it's pushing oncoming traffic into you! Personally, I don't think there is a way around this fear (I have it too, even though I love heights). You just have to get into your "rational mind" and suppress it.

The Bay Bridge is so beautiful it overrides the fear for me though. Zooming along on a sunny day on a bridge that looks like it's literally across the middle of the ocean is fantastic. It's funny though because as the bikers are all going slow on the bridge (which is prudent) cars slow to an irrationally low pace in the tunnels.

We have a notorious bridge here called the High-Rise bridge. It's very high to allow large ships to access the shipyards. Not only is it 8-9 stories high, but it also has a draw section on top that is a steel grating. Look down when you cross this and you can see the water! As if that wasn't enough, when the bike goes over the grates it wiggles as the tires follow the weave of the grating. This is about as scary as it gets! The trick is to loosen the grip on the bars and just let the bike do its thing.

Not to get too metaphysical, but fear is your sub-conscience telling you something. My riding mentor was real big on how great riders acknowledge their fear, analyze it and decide if a reaction is necessary. But they always ride in their analytical mind. You can train yourself to do this. I decided to figure out why I was afraid of bridges. I'm comfortable with heights. I am not claustrophobic so I don't feel trapped. Turns out it was two things: 1. the rails are low, especially perched atop the BMW. I had a sub-conscience fear of flying over the rails. 2. Turns out I am uncomfortable in empty space. On the road, there is a shoulder, then grass, then trees, etc. On a bridge, there is the road and then you are airborne! So, when I ride on a bridge I focus on the centerline, sort of like you look at the outside line on a road at night so you aren't looking into people's headlights. As for the railing, I just slow down. I tell myself that the outside alley is not a good escape route if something happens. It actually worked! I don't feel the panic I used to on a bridge. I still get nervous, but it's much more manageable.

Sorry for the long post!View attachment 1636410
I never even thought about someone having a fear of crossing bridges....

I've crossed pontoon bridges in an M-113 before...that could be construed as being scary but at the time I was concentrating on staying on the bridge too much to be scared.

Heights have never bothered me but getting to a certain height does sometimes. Like climbing a ladder to a roof. Once on the roof I’m fine but that last rung gets me anxious. Coming down is the same. Stepping back onto the ladder is scary but once on it I’m ok going back down.

Sorry for the long post!View attachment 1636410
Thank you for the reply! I enjoyed reading your experiences with bridges. I talked to my parents and they said that when I was a kid, I used to hide under a blanket in the backseat when crossing the bay bridge to avoid looking down.

At one point, I actually enjoyed crossing the bay bridge because of how amazing the view is. I love water so that helped control my nervousness. The height is what made it worse.

I have been over the drawbridge grates before and I have learned to keep a loose grip because the bike will keep traction on its own.

I know I will have to work on getting over my fear a little bit at a time.

Heights have never bothered me but getting to a certain height does sometimes. Like climbing a ladder to a roof. Once on the roof I’m fine but that last rung gets me anxious. Coming down is the same. Stepping back onto the ladder is scary but once on it I’m ok going back down.
It's like leaving an aircraft, once out and under silk, it's serene...

Thank you for the reply! I enjoyed reading your experiences with bridges. I talked to my parents and they said that when I was a kid, I used to hide under a blanket in the backseat when crossing the bay bridge to avoid looking down.

At one point, I actually enjoyed crossing the bay bridge because of how amazing the view is. I love water so that helped control my nervousness. The height is what made it worse.

I have been over the drawbridge grates before and I have learned to keep a loose grip because the bike will keep traction on its own.

I know I will have to work on getting over my fear a little bit at a time.
I managed to ride and drive over that bridge while in the US and it is a wonderful thing alright, those views !!
Well done you for bringing this up and sharing your apprehension about heights and tall bridges :thumbsup:

Back