Fairing scratches

speedmill

Registered
My busa fell over on a flat, blacktop parking lot. Well, if fixed the kickstand but now I have some scratches on the fairing that I would like to patch. They are light scratches and it got into both colors, black and silver. The dealer here in Cincinnati does not stock any touch up paint(???!) and I did find some on the internet for $20 bucks each for a little bottle with a brush. Seems like a rip to me. Is that the best way to go??
Thanks

Keep the scratches it shows character! Seriously, if they are light scratches, <a href="http://www.color-rite.com">Color-Rite<a> is probably the best and cheapest way to go unless you can find someone to do it locally.

If they are not too deep, you can buff them out. Touch-up paint will show slightly different. I'd try buffing it out or repainting the whole cowl.

I bought blue and silver touch up paint my 04 Busa to cover some minor scratches. It takes a fine, experienced touch to control the paint flow, touch that I apparently didn't have. And as mentioned above, the color is a little off. Net result: the touch up looks worse than the scratches!

Go to your local dealer a order or buy the color match from the factory, apply it with a toothpick, it will take several applications but worth it for the results.

The good rule of thumb is if you can take your finger nail over the scratch and feel any type of groove this will not wet sand/buff out. You will need to re-paint it. If you can get a color to match good enough you can touch it up let it dry and repeat this till the color is to the same darkness. Then if its not a single stage paint you will need to brush on a little bit of clear to make it shine well before you do this you will need to wet sand the base till it is smooth again before you put clear on it. once you put the clear on it and it has fully dried. take some 2000/2500 grit sand paper and slowly/carefully wet sand down the touch up area. this will make everything really smooth again and then finally take a buffer and hit it well with a cutting and a polishing compound. Then wipe it clean and will look good as new if you dont it right!!! My buddies sister hit my bike with her car 3 days after it was painted and rigth before a big show I was supposed to be in. Well we fixed it in about 45 min. and hauled her to the show like new again.

W.O.W._05_007.jpg

du...uh, now correct me if im wrong! Is $20 too much to spend on a bike that cost you $10k ... a bike as beautiful as the busa, deserves only the best
biggrin.gif

Just my .02

I've decided to view scratches and dings on my busa like I would marks on my woman. Neither are perfect. Both are active in the world and are subject to wear and tear. I won't dwell on the little chips and dents on the bike like I won't dwell on the little moles and callouses on the lady. To strive for perfect appearance may be OK if it's a piece of art, but the busa and the babe are kinetic and a no-flaw goal would require that both be put on pedestals.

Back