F-16 Crash.............

delboy

God save the Queen.......
Donating Member
Registered
Latest European F-16 crash
Another proof that "double bail out" from an F-16 may be sucessful.

This accident happened at Volkel Air Base in The Netherlands on September 22nd. The jet was an Dutch Air Force F-16B (a two seater). As they were taking off from a touch-and-go, a bird was sucked into the jet engine. The engine stalled, and the pilots tried to turn the jet around and get back on the ground, however, they lost control of the jet and ejected safely.

bailout.jpg

The abandoned jet veered towards the control tower and missed it by less than 3 meters. The plane hit the ground, then bounced over a Dutch Security vehicle and then crashed into a Protected Aircraft Shelter (PAS). The PAS has walls nearly 2 feet thick of reinforced concrete. That was fortunate, since there was another F-16 inside the PAS along with maintenance personnel. Luckily, no one was injured in this accident. Plane spotters near the end of the runway took the pictures of the pilots ejecting and the jet passing the control tower. The two pictures of the wreckage were released by the Royal Netherlands Air Force.

crash_2.jpg

Freaking Lawn Darts...

Loose that one engine, You've got the glide path of a greased brick...

I got an Incentive Ride in Saudi, went out for about 3 hours or so in an F15E. Was awesome and I've never felt safer in an Aircraft. Something I'll never ever forget.

I dunno if I would have that same confidence in an F16.... I dunno. Tough planes, and reliable but yeah, tken out by a damn pigeon...
wow.gif

(Revlis @ Nov. 02 2006,11:13) Freaking Lawn Darts...

I got an Incentive Ride in Saudi, went out for about 3 hours or so in an F15E.  Was awesome and I've never felt safer in an Aircraft.  Something I'll never ever forget.

I dunno if I would have that same confidence in an F16....  I dunno.   Tough planes, and reliable but yeah, tken out by a damn pigeon...  
wow.gif
+1! I dont know why the DOD want to replace a single engine lawn dart with another single engine lawn dart... the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter. Dont get me wrong... the F-16 and F-35 are great aircraft but we lose so many of them because of the single engine. You lose it and you can kiss it goodbye about 98% of the time...

Why do we fly 4 engine aircraft?? Because they don't make them with 5!!

After going back and looking at the pics I said , Wait a minute- How the ding dong is there ANYTHING left of that aircraft? How did it just glide in to nestle itself there amongst the trees? Huh? It just bellied it in on its own.......
This is a little bizarrrrrr.
rock.gif

Again I say -
rock.gif

rock.gif

After the ejection sequence starts, obviously the pilot comes out by way of his/her seat. At the same time the aircrafts flight controls (or whats left of them) cause the aircraft to nose down. This allows for maximum seperation between the plane and the pilot. When a plane crashes, its not all hollywood and huge explosions and nothing but bits and pieces left. This plane wasnt that high when the problem developed so it didnt have far to go to crash.

F-16s are preferred platforms due to their excellent maneuverability. The single engine configuration is inherently less limited by inertia because of it's mass centralization. Kind like ducatis just turn better because of the V-Twin configuration. Sure the F-15, F-22, FA-18, and other dual engined airframes are more reliable because of the back up engine as well as having a higher speed capability for interceptor and air superiority functions but the F-16 will out turn and run circles around them. To military planners, the tradeoff is worth it.

I have a formula I use before flying. (number of engines) divide by 2. If the result is less than one, I’m not getting in it!

(Revlis @ Nov. 02 2006,09:13) Freaking Lawn Darts...

I got an Incentive Ride in Saudi, went out for about 3 hours or so in an F15E.  Was awesome and I've never felt safer in an Aircraft.  Something I'll never ever forget.

I dunno if I would have that same confidence in an F16....  I dunno.   Tough planes, and reliable but yeah, tken out by a damn pigeon...  
wow.gif
How the heck do iget one of those "incentive" rides?? what do/did you do?

(Projekt @ Nov. 03 2006,09:24) F-16s are preferred platforms due to their excellent maneuverability. The single engine configuration is inherently less limited by inertia because of it's mass centralization. Kind like ducatis just turn better because of the V-Twin configuration. Sure the F-15, F-22, FA-18, and other dual engined airframes are more reliable because of the back up engine as well as having a higher speed capability for interceptor and air superiority functions but the F-16 will out turn and run circles around them. To military planners, the tradeoff is worth it.
i met a german AF guy at andrews that flew the tornado. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Tornado_F3
he was tellin me of the aircrafts role, yada, yada. i asked him how he fared against US craft and he said that once the F-16 shows up, the aim for the deck, go fast, and boogey on outta there.
ices_rofl.gif

Back