Extended swingarm handling?

D-Bo

Donating Member
Registered
How much does extending the swingarm 4-6 inches affect the handling in the turns? I love the look of em, but am a newbie and don't actually race. I am just wondering if a few inches of extention would really mess up regular riding much. What do you guys think? The fat tires are sweet too, but how much would that affect things? Thanks for the advice.

It will turn slower, and if you lower it, it will drag. If you are a twisties rider, don't do it, but if you mainly just cruise around town, or straightline it, enjoy.

I have a 6 inch extension and as Mr Brown says...it really ain't no big deal for daily riding unless you are a true knee dragger....it does make a big difference at the strip.

eveyday ridin , not much - twisties, be very cautious it is alot harder to keep your line and if you lower it too, forgedaboudit, it will keep your front planted when you really want to cut loose, untill 3rd geard @ around 9500 rpm and hitting the juice button at which time all kind of stuff happens... hehehehehe
jump9.gif

DSCN1419.JPG

Like they said above;

it won't affect regular riding much, same with the 250 tire.

but if you like to lean, it affects it a lot.

Why do you want to do it??

I want to get a chrome swingarm, and really like the look of the extended ones. Especially with the fat tire! Everyone out here has these custom choppers worth 30-45k. Arlen Ness bikes everywhere. They are awesome, but I want to have that same WOW effect with something completely different (my Busa). I don't want to take a bike that I feel rides awesome and screw that up just for looks. I am not a very experienced, knee draggin, twistie carvin type of rider so it seems like from what you guys are saying it wouldn't effect the type of riding I do too much. I think I will go with a 4-6 in chrome. Where can I get one for as little $$$ as possible? Thanks for all the replies. It is great to be able to get feedback on here since no one I know really tricks these types of bikes out.

Send a PM to Golden Child, he's in Oregon and will take care of you. Everything from helping you figure out what best fits your needs, to sales, to installation, to service after the fact.

I have it set at about 7" and love it . it does hurt holding a line when carving but not too bad . I noticed that when you zigzag along the road its slower . for regular riding its cool.

df.JPG

Call Goldenchild he's a board sponcer and is a good guy to deal with !!

You've been told correctly. I stretched mine 4" figuring it would make turning hard but it hasn't. I don't carve corners and have noticed little change in the bike ability to turn around town OR on the highway. I am about to go another 2" making the stretch 6" overall. I also lowered the rear 1" and the only problem to date is I will scrape if i come in the driveway over 3-5 mph straight on. SO I come in diagonally @ 5mph and problem solved.
 What it will do is allow you to LAUNCH the bike without the wheel coming up off of the ground. Careful of going too far though, you'll find yourself spinning the bike tire into a smoke filled oblivion at will.

Opinions on this will vary,I for one can say from experience,say 6-8 effects it drastically,I took a turn one night and my front end drifted out from under me,bottom line....it will not handle like the stock wheel base.

(nitrousjunkie @ Nov. 08 2006,03:07) Opinions on this will vary,I for one can say from experience,say 6-8 effects it drastically,I took a turn one night and my front end drifted out from under me,bottom line....it will not handle like the stock wheel base.
+1 ,but i still can maintain about a 1/4" chigken strip on mine, just dont dare do as fast as i could at stock config
cool.gif

Thanks for all the input. If I extend it 4 in will I have to get the longer brake lines too, or can I still use the stock ones? Thanks again.

(D-Bo @ Nov. 10 2006,01:37) Thanks for all the input.  If I extend it 4 in will I have to get the longer brake lines too, or can I still use the stock ones?  Thanks again.
Stock brake line is good for up to 6", but you will need a longer brake arm.

Mines 6-8 currently set to near 8, wasnt bad in the curves but then i roadrace a little, have to hang off like a bi--- to curve tight, with the new front end weight its done with curves. do what i did, buy a cheapie bike to ride(90 something f3) and make your busa a show bike or dragbike.
P1020050.jpg

Back