Exhaust with no pipes lose power?

umairhashmi

Registered
A lot of companies nowadays have these MotoGp style pipes with no cans whatsoever.Like the boz bros ones.But i find myself wondering dont you LOSE power because of no backpressure with those things?
Just bored and curious so i figured id ask my knowledgeable american friends here

i have a boz ive never dynoed the bike but when i first put it on it was like a new bike it might just be from the wieght that i took off the bike but it dose seem to pull harder now and it deffinitly handles better those stockcans are a lot of wieght above the axil with the loss of backpressure id be more worried about torque than hp

with the loss of backpressure id be more worried about torque than hp [/Quote]

and burnt valves.

You would almost have to have a power commander.

(300Busa @ Sep. 30 2007,09:52) with the loss of backpressure id be more worried about torque than hp

and burnt valves.  

You would almost have to have a power commander.[/Quote]
+2

Exhaust depends on whose it is.I have dyno'd stock and stock with no cans and the no cans made more power but remember the header is what kills the busa not the cans...

you're average will be way down with just headers but with tunning you can pick up a few hp's at the very top.

A lot of those GP-style systems just replace the can which is not the muffler on the newer bikes.  The new R-6 for example, has a big box/muffler thing under the bike that feeds into the can.  With the GP-style slip-ons it replaces the can but the box/muffler stays intact - that's why it works on those bikes.

The busa exhaust is totally different as the mufflers are the cans.

Edit: anybody got a pic of the Boz exhaust on a busa?

(300Busa @ Sep. 30 2007,09:52) with the loss of backpressure id be more worried about torque than hp

and burnt valves.  

You would almost have to have a power commander.[/Quote]
Now I've been running my stubbies for about 3000 miles. It has seem to loose a little power to me. Tell me more about the burned valves!

Burning or warping valves is an old wives tale I believe, having run straight pipes on other motors w/o any damage at all. Extremely cold air running back up the pipes could possibly warp a valve I suppose. See any dragsters with baffles in their pipes? If its tuned for the open exhaust it should run better than simply having open headers with a stock tuneup. Fired mine up in the garage once w/o the cans on it. Doubt I could get out of the neighborhood w/o the police being called.
laugh.gif

Just for what it's worth, 'bout .02, we're talking exhaust flow efficiency.....

The header is specifically designed to keep things moving in one direction. These exhausts that have no muffler on the end are "shaped" to accomodate the lack of a muffler on the end of them, i.e. no back pressure coming from the muffler itself, but "some" provided by the shape and length of the pipes themselves. Back pressure isn't always the result of a muffler. That's not to say they aren't "as" efficient, or "more" efficient at keeping the gases moving that are expelled from the exhaust valves when opened.

The stock header isn't shaped to work that way, as it relies on the mufflers, and the diameter pipe from which it's built to maximize bottom end torque while also allowing the machine to "breathe" at high rpm's and mph. Both muffler design and diameter and shape of the stock pipe is just what it is, a compromise.

You take a Boz, Yosh, Muzzy, HMF, Two Brothers, etc...and they're all designed to extract the gas and keep it moving, by design. Maximize top end flow HP, without totally destroying bottom end torque. Whether there's a heavily baffled muff on the end doesn't really matter as these header's are shaped for efficiency.

Stock pipes are "escape cavities", whereas, tuned exhaust systems are "extraction devices".

After I get this speedohealer issue acquired and installed, I believe a PC will be somewhere in the SpudleyBusa's future. I believe there's better performance available whether I buy a set of very expensive pipes or not. Interested to find out.

Before all that, I've got to get the rest of the two-year maintenance out of the way......got the rear brake flushed and replaced with Dot 4 synthetic, next is the fronts, then the clutch, then the cooling system..........hopefully by tomorrow at this time I'll be all finished...we'll see.
super.gif

I have cut stock mid pipes if you wanna try em out. Just pay shipping. If you have a PCIII you can use the dapinci map for them.

Back