EV vehicles

That's pretty inexpensive....I think the ones the neighbor was selling were around $5k or so...

The other day he was out test riding a mountain bike that a customer brought in for a tune up.....he said the bike retails for $12K and had a carbon fiber frame and lightweight rims.....I asked if the guy was a competitive rider and he said he was just a recreational rider...

$12K? Crazy talk.......
5k and they sold out quickly? Wow. Like anything else, you can spend as much as you want. My friend bought his before they were as popular as now, but a bike like his can still be had for about $1500.

I think what is said here is more the reality of EV than pure electric...

If the manufacturers make hybrids better, they make sense.....having a range of 70kms on hybrid EV is kind of pathetic.....

It looks like mother earth's oil is the best possible energy storage material for human civilization: safe to transport, easy to employ, abundant in energy storage, rich in byproducts, manageable, and according to a recent though suppressed publication, RENEWABLE!
Lithium on the other side is difficult, dangerous (just ask firefighters), heavy and shallow in energy capacity, but possibly interesting to create wealth... These are fixed parameters (i.e. constants) the industry can never beat, as the industry has not beaten the corrupt politicians either. Now to purchase an e-bike to ride from the living room to the kitchen, no, I will not!

Now to purchase an e-bike to ride from the living room to the kitchen, no, I will not!
The last time I was in Germany, there were e-bikes everywhere. More e-bikes than cars.

They are not the kind of e-bikes you would find in the USA here. Americans use cars to go everywhere, as you say from the living room to the kitchen.

The e-bikes which sell here are for cyclists who are not quite competitive athletes, or were competitive when they were younger, and they want to ride with athletes who are a lot stronger. They don’t ride for transport, they ride for exercise and need a bit of help when they get to a steep incline, or they fall behind the group.
Those put out a maximum of 500 watts as a combination of pedal power and battery power.

The normal e-bike rider won’t keep up with a competitive rider, even while they use battery assistance. It allows them to keep up with a group of recreational fit riders for a 100km bike ride though.

Some professional cyclists actually got caught racing with an e-bike, the battery completely hidden. They got their racing licenses suspended.

The last time I was in Germany, there were e-bikes everywhere. More e-bikes than cars.

They are not the kind of e-bikes you would find in the USA here. Americans use cars to go everywhere, as you say from the living room to the kitchen.

The e-bikes which sell here are for cyclists who are not quite competitive athletes, or were competitive when they were younger, and they want to ride with athletes who are a lot stronger. They don’t ride for transport, they ride for exercise and need a bit of help when they get to a steep incline, or they fall behind the group.
Those put out a maximum of 500 watts as a combination of pedal power and battery power.

The normal e-bike rider won’t keep up with a competitive rider, even while they use battery assistance. It allows them to keep up with a group of recreational fit riders for a 100km bike ride though.

Some professional cyclists actually got caught racing with an e-bike, the battery completely hidden. They got their racing licenses suspended.
Wrong word, mea culpa: just 'cause I use 'bike' to mean motorbike, I added an 'e' thinking of products like Kawasaki's Z e-1.
True about e-bikes and not only in Germany but all over Europe. Accidents happen to these people more frequently than on normal cycles, as they tend rushing at speeds their muscles initially would never sustain without battery. I personnaly am not a fan of the cycle (either way) as I don't like leaning to the handlebar, not to mention the narrow, penetrating saddle :-)
Another sad true, people fail to consider, is that cities' pollution is more damaging outside a car. That reality makes me thinking of wearing a mask with carbon filters to protect my lungs, exactly as wearing wearing ear plugs for the highway.

If the manufacturers make hybrids better, they make sense.....having a range of 70kms on hybrid EV is kind of pathetic.....

Hi. Here they are making wind power to run 400,000 homes for 32% of time. We now can do away with gas and oil! OH NO What will we do for the other 68% of the time? Well who cares as long as we can do away with all of the gas and oil.

Is the drive motor hidden in the hub of the wheel? I can't imagine such a small motor would be very helpful if at all given the extra weight.

Motor and battery sits hidden inside the thicker down tube, with a gear drive center of the bottom bracket shaft connected to the cranks.

I could not see myself on one of those, but the shape I am in today, there is no way I can ride with my old group. So I ride alone.

Ford is hiring like crazy for the “special projects” team focusing on affordable all electric vehicles.
This thread has a ton of misinformation about the EV sector but I must admit it’s been pretty entertaining to watch.
I recommend changing the channel every now and then to see both sides of subject.

Ford is hiring like crazy for the “special projects” team focusing on affordable all electric vehicles.
This thread has a ton of misinformation about the EV sector but I must admit it’s been pretty entertaining to watch.
I recommend changing the channel every now and then to see both sides of subject.
So the press that reports they are laying off the Lightning force is misinformation? The interview with the CEO that says that EVs have been a loss for Ford is also misinformation?

So the press that reports they are laying off the Lightning force is misinformation? The interview with the CEO that says that EVs have been a loss for Ford is also misinformation?
Lightning force ≠ all EV production for Ford. Look at my post above. Focusing on more affordable EV’s is the name of the game. Ford has been hiring for the last ~7 months for this. You don’t keep hiring specialized personnel for something you aren’t gonna produce. The guys that I know personally that have recently joined have an EV specific background. The lightning has to compete directly with the gas version F150. That’s gonna be a tough crowd to win over given the EV versions current specs and price difference. The electric mustang looks nothing like a gas mustang and has been performing well in sales. Layoffs seem to have been mainly at the manufacturing level and a lot was stemming from supplier related issues and has had an impact on who assembled the gas F150 as well.
But Tom, you would have to watch something other than conservative news outlets to know any of this.

“Oceanic society rests ultimately on the belief that Big Brother is omnipotent and that the Party is infallible. But since in reality Big Brother is not omnipotent and the party is not infallible, there is need for an unwearying, moment-to-moment flexibility in the treatment of facts. The keyword here is BLACKWHITE. Like so many Newspeak words, this word has two mutually contradictory meanings. Applied to an opponent, it means the habit of impudently claiming that black is white, in contradiction of the plain facts. Applied to a Party member, it means a loyal willingness to say that black is white when Party discipline demands this. But it means also the ability to BELIEVE that black is white, and more, to KNOW that black is white, and to forget that one has ever believed the contrary.” -Orwell 1984

Last edited:
Lightning force ≠ all EV production for Ford. Look at my post above. Focusing on more affordable EV’s is the name of the game. Ford has been hiring for the last ~7 months for this. You don’t keep hiring specialized personnel for something you aren’t gonna produce. The guys that I know personally that have recently joined have an EV specific background. The lightning has to compete directly with the gas version F150. That’s gonna be a tough crowd to win over given the EV versions current specs and price difference. The electric mustang looks nothing like a gas mustang and has been performing well in sales. Layoffs seem to have been mainly at the manufacturing level and a lot was stemming from supplier related issues and has had an impact on who assembled the gas F150 as well.
But Tom, you would have to watch something other than conservative news outlets to know any of this.
Those Mach Es aren't selling around here....the dealership is chocked full of them and are worried........They also have a few Lightnings they can't sell....

Perhaps the "special team" Ford is putting together is gearing towards a hybrid? These make far more sense than a full electric vehicle....

I am interested to see how the Ram hybrid works out (of course I have very little faith in Stellantis as a company).

You state it's misinformation. When a CEO makes a statement in an interview, is that a right leaning interview? If I see a link that states information, I admit I don't check it's political alignment.

Am I to assume your politics when you state what you believe is correct information?

If Ford can make an EV that is more economically viable, I'm all for it. But Ford has made that claim 3 times now. It hasn't been true 3 times now. I went into my Ford fleet dealer here to look at an EV van solution. They were launching an EV that was "competitive" to the same gas platformed van. By the time you get an actual van configured, it was nowhere near the price they lead you to believe. I could buy 1.5 gas vehicles for the price of one EV equivalent. And I didn't have to worry about the range "misinformation" they try to sell in the EV. The reality is Ford is trying to gouge the consumer under the "green" language that's being pushed. Part of the reason they can't sway the F-150 consumer, is because the F-150 actually performs as a truck. I can put my hands on 3 F Series trucks that top $80K in price sitting in driveways of my neighbors. So the consumer has the ability to spend. And the competence to know what to buy.

You can call that politics if you wish. You can call it misinformation if you like.

The consumer sends a clear message how well EVs are doing.

Last edited:
You state it's misinformation. When a CEO makes a statement in an interview, is that a right leaning interview? If I see a link that states information, I admit I don't check it's political alignment.

Am I to assume your politics when you state what you believe is correct information?

If Ford can make an EV that is more economically viable, I'm all for it. But Ford has made that claim 3 times now. It hasn't been true 3 times now. I went into my Ford fleet dealer here to look at an EV van solution. They were launching an EV that was "competitive" to the same gas platformed van. By the time you get an actual van configured, it was nowhere near the price they lead you to believe. I could buy 1.5 gas vehicles for the price of one EV equivalent. And I didn't have to worry about the range "misinformation" they try to sell in the EV. The reality is Ford is trying to gouge the consumer under the "green" language that's being pushed. Part of the reason they can't sway the F-150 consumer, is because the F-150 actually performs as a truck.

You can call that politics if you wish. You can call it misinformation if you like.

The consumer sends a clear message how well EVs are doing.
I sadly had to sell my 1.6 bi-turbo diesel Honda CRV (spare parts issue) and replace it with the corresponding HEV 2.0 petrol (gas) one.
With the diesel model I had 6l/100km consumption but with the hybrid, 7.4l/100km, on the same 1500 km highway journey, and same if not less aggressive driving style...

I accept that EV sales aren’t booming like everyone anticipated but this is not the “end” of the revolution. The price for most of these vehicles are prohibitive for a lot of people. With large scale battery production moving to the US I believe we are prime for some ~ $30k vehicles in the near future.
@TallTom
The guys I know are working on all electric projects, however I’m sure some tech will carry over to the hybrid line.

So it's your link. It states total sales numbers as:
The EV share out of the brand's total volume improved to 5.3%, compared to 1.3% a year ago.

5.3% of total sales. You want to highlight the vast improvement from the previous year of 1.3%. It looks spectacular when it's stated EV sales are up 400%. It leaves out that 94.7% of their sales was not EV.

Is this a right leaning or left leaning source of information you provided? It's easy to try and polarize this with politics. But you just proved the outlook of EV reality for Ford in that link.

Back