Engine Noise In My Busa?

V-Max 2 Busa

Registered
My new 05 busa that I bought last year to replace the wrecked 05 has developed an engine noise. The bike was purchased with 2K miles and now has 4K miles, the noise is a knocking kinda clattering noise that originated 2 rides ago after ride when engine was hot. The last ride I noticed the knocking when I started the bike with it cold, this does not seem to effect the performance but has me extremely concerned. Is there a common issue that would cause such a noise? I figure the first thing I'd inspect is the clutch but I'm just guessing as the clutch operation seems to be unaffected. Also it seems like I can actually feel the knocking such as in the handle bars, really hoping someone can point me in the right direction here. :please:

I dont know what your idea of "hot" is, but if it was truly hot, like pegged in the red and your were having too much fun, I would say get it checked out, prolly toasted/started to wreck something internally man....

if u feel it in the clutch i would take the clutch cover off and take a look make sure everything is tight, i have a total clutch failure, one of the pressure plate screws backed out on its own, but it didnt make anynoise until it finally happened but i felt it in the clutch when it happened

Had an issue with noise (thunk) in my 06, I had convinced myself it was deep in the engine(ROD NOISE) someone chimed on here and suggested throttle body synchronization. I think yeah rite, Synched the throttle bodies, noise went away. Moral, dont KNOCK it till you try it.

Edit for above..

I just saw how many miles on bike. Doubt it's valves, unless there has been engine work previously and something was a little off.

Lot of guesses but I think you need to narrow down the area where the noise is coming from. Try riding without a helmet up and down the street sometimes thats all it takes to get a clear sense of where a noise is coming from. If that does work get a mechanics stethoscope or the old fasioned way and use a long handle screwdriver preferably with a wooden handle and listen carefully at different positions on the engine, trans and clutch, but a rattle can come from anywhere and propagate seemly from other areas. Try to narrow down the areas otherwise it's just a shot in the dark. Now we need to figure out what the noise sounds like. Clanking, metal against metal, swooshing, rough running, chugging, lugging, ticky, pinging, hissing etc. You said knocking clattering - in cadence with the engine or is it a non symetrical sound - surging or consistent. IE it happens worse when you brake or corner.

what about an old stethescope and rev it a bit in the garage or driveway. that whole ride it without a helmet thing bothers me.

I have a 05 with the same problem. Yep it sounds like a knock deep in the engine. I tried to find it with a stephoscope but no luck. Doesn't make the noise under load and when I scope it all I heard was the usual whiring sound. Which is a good thing! I put the scope on clutch bolts, head, oilpan, but heard no knocking. Still does it and it's been a few thousand miles and alot of spirited runs. Don't know what it is .

Back