Gen 1 Engine Noise

GSXDaveR

Registered
Hi everyone, I've got a Gen 1 2000 model, and I think it may have a problem although I'm not sure so perhaps you guys might be able to shed some light on it.
It rides perfectly, but on tickover only after it has been ridden i can hear a strange noise coming form the engine, you have to crouch down close to it, hard to describe but its like a rubbing sound in the engine, doesn't sound bad at the mo, but just don't want it to get worse and be a problem later(if it is one at all?!). I've done a oil change recently with Castrol 10-40.
its covered 19000 miles, as far as i know the valve clearances haven't been done, but to be honest doesn't sound like a tappet issue to me.

Hope that all makes sense, if anyone can advise that would be great.

Cheers

Dave

I wouldnt worry to much with it if it is still running well. When you changed the oil did you notice any debris in the oil?

Hi everyone, I've got a Gen 1 2000 model, and I think it may have a problem although I'm not sure so perhaps you guys might be able to shed some light on it.
It rides perfectly, but on tickover only after it has been ridden i can hear a strange noise coming form the engine, you have to crouch down close to it, hard to describe but its like a rubbing sound in the engine, doesn't sound bad at the mo, but just don't want it to get worse and be a problem later(if it is one at all?!). I've done a oil change recently with Castrol 10-40.
its covered 19000 miles, as far as i know the valve clearances haven't been done, but to be honest doesn't sound like a tappet issue to me.

Hope that all makes sense, if anyone can advise that would be great.

Cheers

Dave

Dave- being miles away and not able to hear this engine, I have a suggestion. Put the bike on the sidestand and remove the clutch cover. Check all the clutch springs carefully and the inside of the clutch cover to see if you can see any marks at all. A common issue with Busas is the clutch spring "stands" (or studs, if you prefer) can back out of the torque limiter. Catching this before it happens is good . . . seeing the results if you do not is bad. If this is what is happening, you can remove the offending stud (11mm socket) and re-install it with some red locktite. While you are in there, I would re-do them all. Hopefully, that is what the issue is and you catch it in time. It is an easy fix. I'm sure a few others will come along with some other possibilities. Let us know what you find! :laugh:

BlueHaya - No oil was clean nothing unusual
Powerhouse - yep will try that, it will be off the road for winter very soon now, so will check that with the rest of the winter maintenance I normally do, I know it's hard to understand the noise without hearing it yourself, another point to add is that it's not a constant rubbing sound it's sort on on off on off, but just keeps going, only whilst on tickover, as soon as I bring up the revs you can't hear it at all.

Many thanks for the replies so far,

Cheers Dave.

just a thought.. do you know if the cam chain adjustor recall was ever done on the motor? They had a recall where a new cam chain auto adjustor was put into that motor back in 2000.

No I don't actually, I have no record of that from previous owners, but i might look into changing it anyway so I know it's done, should be able to do that myself aswell, funnily enough I was thinking it might be a cam chain issue by the nature of the sound.

Thanks very much

Dave

No I don't actually, I have no record of that from previous owners, but i might look into changing it anyway so I know it's done, should be able to do that myself aswell, funnily enough I was thinking it might be a cam chain issue by the nature of the sound.

Thanks very much

Dave
Have suzuki or a trustworthy dealer run the vin...it should show in the database if the recall was done or not. Sometimes they also make a mark of some type by the vin showing the recall being done.

Thanks I'll try that, have to say I hope I can sort it or find out its ok, as I haven't had it long and was hoping to give it a right good clean up over the winter, bling it up a bit ready for next year, as its a cracking bike :please:

Checked with a Suzook dealer and its had the cam chain tenshioner recall done, hmmm, lots of people have gen 1 busa's with alot more miles than mine, perhaps its nothing, maybe need to find another owner local to me to compare with.

Checked with a Suzook dealer and its had the cam chain tenshioner recall done, hmmm, lots of people have gen 1 busa's with alot more miles than mine, perhaps its nothing, maybe need to find another owner local to me to compare with.
I'm glad you were able to verify that the cam chain tensioner was updated, thats the most important recall on the early busa's.
Is the rubbing noise you hear down lower on the right side next to the clutch cover? Busa's have noisy clutches, a little noise down there is normal. With the bike running in nuetral, pull the clutch lever in and see if the noise changes or not....if it does thats normal. The engines themselves are usually fairly quiet tho, you really shouldn't hear any rubbing, grinding etc.

No it is more apparent on the left side, than any, but what is strange is that i started it yesterday, didn't ride it and let it warm up til the fan cut in, and just left it, and I couldn't hear anything unusual, so makes me think that if there was a bearing issue, or cam chain etc, then it would do it all the time, regardless of if it is ridden or not, i'll have to get a second opinion somehow i think to make sure i'm not imagining something that isn't really there!

I have no idea of what the sound might be, but I've often thought of taking video for engine noises to share with the group.

Of course, some sounds will be audible to a camera/phone, and some not.

Sean

Back