Engine missing/sputtering- Help

Sonicbusa

Registered
I just bought a 2004 Sonic Sand Rail with a busa engine. Problem is between 2000 and about 5000 rpm the engine hesitates and misses. Often times about 4500-5500 rpm it pops out the carb...er....injection. After 6K rpm it runs great and at WOT it hauls a$$. I am not sure if it is a throttle position problem or an rpm related issue. It does not have any aftermarket mods that I know of. I would like to put a PC3 on it and get it tuned, but another issue is I don't know what year the engine is. It is definitely a 2003 or older. The Power Commander website states multiple part numbers for the earlier busas. Lastly, anyone know of a good tuning shop in the Phoenix area? Your guys help is greatly appreciated!!

had a similar prob with my 2000 but the power commander was an accomplice as it was exacerbating a timing signal pickup issue that my bike had/has...the fix was to send my power commander back to the manufacturer to disable the timing control on that early version power commander. once this was done, the commander did not make 'amplify' the issue. this mod did solve the issue to date...BUT you said that you had not aftermarket mods so i guess no commander?...hmmm! ...very similar symptoms and my bike would 'smooth out' above about 4-5k rpm...

any error codes?? like ummm...one of the coils is bad???

Back