Electrical Problem

slime

Registered
Just wondering if someone could steer me in the right direction. I replaced my 2 year old battery today. Last week, the old battery had to be jumped to run, and would not charge up. Checked it with a meter, altenator is charging battery was bad. After installing the new battery, nothing! I eventually got dim lights and such, but it is not enough to turn the starter. Battery has 13 volts showing, main and all fuses good. Fuel pump runs, solenoid buzzes, but everything is not fully juiced. I cleaned the battery connections, but still only partial juice to the bike. It was really only a battery change, now I can't figure out what has happened. Is there some thing in the electrical system that could have just failed? It's like the battery is going out, but it's new and fully charged. I have checked it. Is there a fusable link or something I am missing. When I first hooked it up, it would do nothing. No lights, no gauges and the instruments would only cycle after the switch was turned off. Is there another connection that could be bad or something. I don't understand why I have little or no electricity to the system.

Did you clean the cables and battery terminals really well?
I use fine sandpaper and make sure they are nice and bright, where they contact.
Make sure you tighten them down good too.
Try that and get back to us.

Last edited:
Has the bike ever been wrecked ? From what I've read you're telling us you have a new / good battery and that you have checked the charging system and it's working properly. You either have a bad connection somewhere or a drain on the system. That's my 2 cents.

For what it is worth, if you have described it fully, if it was me, I would just try another battery. That is my gut. May not seem sensible, but if that is all you did, it may fail a load test, even if new.
But here is the flow chart to start to hunt it down.
Good luck!

Electric Flow Chart.jpg

Back