ECU editor for built motor

bdogg317

Registered
I have a 09 and I heard that it is better to use a PC5 instead of the ECU editor if you have a built motor. I currently have the PC5 and a built motor. I'm thinking about going to the ECU editor is there any truth to what I heard about staying with the pc5 since I have a built motor?

none i am aware of assuming you have access to a tuner who can use ecu efitor. there is a lot more that ber tuned with ecu versus just a pc5

Like Greg said, your tunability with EE is much better than with the pc5

i would only use the pc5 if you got a smokin deal on it and had a relatively stock bike.

the issue everyone has with EE is they are afraid to try something new that might be a little more advanced than they can handle.

the ecu editor all the way..pc5 is good but your only able to tune fuel with the editor you can do everything

I would use both. There are more features with Ecu Editor that you can modify, including the ability to turn off the ram air compensation prior to the tune and re-enable it after. And of course, timing, speed limiters, rev limiter, etc. Many more features with Editor that you can modify that would be beneficial to the overall tune. And yes, a lot of tuners won't mess with it for a variety of reasons. The PCV does fueling, and fueling only. However, in the case of fueling, it is not about the box, but the software that differentiates which one is better. Dynojet's tuning link software, used in conjunction with a powercommander, enables the tuner to generate a/f curves at every throttle percentage. This makes for a more linear and complete map . . . it is also easier on the bike while it is up on the dyno. Less time, less drama, less wear and tear. IMO, the tuning link software -which not every tuner can afford - is what makes the difference.

Then again, if you ask two technicians, sometimes you get three opinions!

how many tuners out there actually have and use tuning link?

Chris, there are many, obviously including POWERHOUSE. If you go on Dynojet's website, they list tuning centers and within that list you will see the approved tuners who have tuning link. It is just another tool, only as good as the technician wielding it, and like anything else, experience comes into play. I started back in the PCII days, and this relatively new software makes 1999 look like the stone age. It saves a lot of time, and makes the tuning session easier, shorter, and with much less wear and tear on everything.

thank guys, my builder is a great tuner as well Mark at Fastlane here in Indianapolis. He has mentioned the Editor to me before, but I was a little skeptical. But, I guess I should have listened to him :banghead: especially since he is in good with Schnitz as well. He is the only one I let touch my motor and due my tunes. I think I will talk to him about using both or just going with the Editor.

Back