Drag racing help needed bad! :)

OB_mbuehler

Registered
Or perhaps "How the hell do you launch this thing?" Went to the drag strip for the first time ever, and instead of taking my Bandit, I brought the Busa instead. Jeez that is fun! My problem is launching the bike. The Bandit's clutch slips easily and predictably, while the Busa's grabs very hard. After spinning the rear tire a few times (makes me nervous so I back off the throttle), I did a regular (stop light) take off for a 11.6 @ 131 mph. There was a ZX6 down there that came within .3 sec of beating me after leading nearly the whole race. So, for the sake of the Hayabusa reputation, pass on a few tips :)

Thanks,

mbuehler

A Brock Davidson clutch mod cures all the problems.
Gasabusa

[This message has been edited by GASABUSA (edited 14 February 2000).]

Is this the same as the Schnitz mod? And it won't effect streetability will it (compression braking from mismatched revs, etc)? I understand why they changed it so downshifting was safer, but was the extreme grabiness on upshifts an intentional thing too?

Try this on the street.Rev the Busa to 4000 RPM and launch from there while slipping the clutch.It will slip like a normal clutch.

Gixxer, does this mean you have the brake engaged, the engine at 4K, and the clutch slipping when the lights go?

I'd really appreciate anyones' "idiot guide" to launching the 'abusa, step by step, how to get this thing in the low 10's.

No,that means that the lock up on the clutch is engaged due to the centrifugal force of the engine rpm.I posted this months ago.I think it was Dirty Pete who asked.Your other alterantive is to launch at idle.That works also.Just try it at 4000 rpm,it really works for me.

Back