Does anyone have tips for wet weather operation?

majestic12

Hunting Kawasakis
Donating Member
Registered
I try not to get caught by rain but some times the clouds have other ideas. True the forcast can help but some times it seems like they are reading tea leafs. :cookoo:

My honda (night hawk) was pretty steady in the rain but my Busa seems to be more "twitchy.":tiptoe: I was wondering if it is all in my head and I don't want to wreck my bike or if the Busa has any unique traits.

Any tips are welcom.

Dustin

Twitchy....probably because there's a lot more power than the Hawk has. Take it slow, easy on the throttle adjustments and you'll be fine. Depending on the tires you may or may not have decent grip in turns - tires are the key to grip in the wet...that and the throttle control already mentioned. If you haven't taken a MSF course yet you should also consider that. Lax up on the front braking in the rain also, rear brake should be applied as it produces a more controlled stop. Using too much front brake and locking the front tire will end abruptly in a high-side if you're moving too fast.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply jdsbusa. When I said twitchy I ment it feels like it wants to wander back and forth a little. I have stock tires always checked for proper pressure, and I always drop to C mode when I hit wet roads. You are right about the hp increase on the order of x5. I do ride like a Grandma when the roads are wet and I try to jump off the freeway as soon as I can. The only problem is there might not be back roads avalible to me in some areas.

jdsbusa covered it pretty good...i use the Pirelli Diablo Strada tires in cold and/or wet weather and for touring...throttle and brake control are a must at all times...other than that, it all comes down to practice, practice, practice :beerchug:

Only input I would have is to be smooth on both acceleration and slowing or coming to a stop.

Only input I would have is to be smooth on both acceleration and slowing or coming to a stop.

And nice steady turning inputs...have ridden hundreds of rainy miles on various tours over the years. I run a PR2 rear and a PP front and they're good rain tires. Notice the tankbag rain cover? That was in late June!

IMG013Small.jpg

I try not to get caught by rain but some times the clouds have other ideas. True the forcast can help but some times it seems like they are reading tea leafs. :cookoo:

My honda (night hawk) was pretty steady in the rain but my Busa seems to be more "twitchy.":tiptoe: I was wondering if it is all in my head and I don't want to wreck my bike or if the Busa has any unique traits.

Any tips are welcom.

Dustin

Try the "C" mode...be smooth with the throttle, brakes, and steering inputs :thumbsup:

And nice steady turning inputs...have ridden hundreds of rainy miles on various tours over the years. I run a PR2 rear and a PP front and they're good rain tires. Notice the tankbag rain cover? That was in late June!

IMG013Small.jpg

dude, lol, that' pic is right near my house? why were you in montana?

although not related to the actual "riding" keep a big buffer zone between you and any other vehicles... you need room to recover if something starts to go south and worrying about a car in your space is not going to help..

I have seen WAY too many guys on bikes drop 10 or 20 mph below prevailing traffic.. Might as well put a "Hit Me" sign on your back.. if you can not safely run with traffic, again, get the hell off the road

I would also be aware of the equipment you are riding.. some tires just plain suck in the rain and you are just better off to find a spot to land until things get a little better..

That first 10 minutes of rain can be pretty slick as all the oil on the road gets rinsed off...

Watch for things that are not slippery when they are dry.
Manhole covers, centerline, painted crosswalks, expansion joints are all slippery when wet.
Also trees will drip for hours after the rain has stopped so if you are going under trees watch for slippery sections.

Last edited:
A bike is my daily driver. Rain or shine I'm military so I have to arrive alive and on time. My best tip is keep the rpms as low as possible. Reducing throttle sensitivity in curves and while accelerating.

Watch tire pressure 3-5 lbs low makes larger footprint for increased hydroplane. About the braking post... Always use front and rear brakes at same time, reguardless of conditions. It will become second nature and save your ass in emergency on wet roads
Posted via Mobile Device

Stay dry and slow your roll.

The more seat time you have in bad weather the more semi-comfortable you'll feel.

Spring of this year, we got rained & snowed on 4 tours in a row. Great fun! Be prepared.

Everything slows down in the rain.

Slower inputs, slower braking, smooth changes in everything that you do.

displayimage.php

Back