Different Clutch Springs mod

icemansid

Donating Member
Registered
Ive done quite a bit of search and cannot find any information so here goes my post.

I have an 06 Busa that I drag regularly. Did quite a few mods so far this winter, including Air shifter, MPS ECU flash with shift harness, Welded MPS clutch mod. Last summer, a friend/fellow racer (7.90 in the 1/4) suggested that i remove 3 springs on my pressure plate allowing the clutch to slip on its own. Has anybody heard of this or ever tried it? i know most put in heavier springs. Thanks in advance!

Nope, most of the post go with three HD springs to make them stouter.....

I have not read this before here...but I would like to ask if anybody adds a few washers to stiffen up the springs? or would that bring on coil bind?

take out springs ??? I guess you would be swapping out clutches alot more often. It would give you more slip off the line and helo with the launch but on the top end you might still be slipping.

You definitely don't want to "remove" 3 of the springs ! With the "weld-mod." it should slip easy enough and HD springs will help with slippage on the other end. I use all 3-HD and 3 stock with BDE spacers.

Thanks all for all your input. I think I am going to leave it as is. Made enough changes without testing them yet. I was worried that it may not fully lock up at the top end as well.

The other change that I am going to make that I forgot to mention is the addition of a hydraulic line lock for clutch release on the line. I haven't seen much on this mod and I was wondering if anybody had any input on that.
Posted via Mobile Device

If you're going to "throw away" the clutch lever off the line then you're going to need the clutch to do the slipping. Alot of people modulate the clutch lever until they can get out far enough to release the clutch completely (slip clutch less and give more throttle at the same time).

What are you trying to do? How are your 60's now? Are they consistant?

60s are so-so - low 1.80s high 1.70s, a 1.68 if im lucky. Over the last summer i was dumping the clutch as fast as i could, if i slipped it any, my times were crap. keep in mind I'm a 280lb rider. I would like to move to a button release launch instead of just "letting out the clutch"

I have not read this before here...but I would like to ask if anybody adds a few washers to stiffen up the springs? or would that bring on coil bind?

Have heard of it, but if you gotta get in there and half @$$ it, u may as well spend a few more dollars and do it right with hd springs
Posted via Mobile Device

When it times for a new clutch setup you might want to try a Barnett Kevlar & springs, mine has held up for more than 200 passes coming off the 2 step @ 5800 to 7000 depending on what the track will hold and almost dropping the lever right off the line. Its around $200 and comes with a complete set of springs:thumbsup:

Back