Diesel block heater

outlawbusa

1 wheel up aero testing
Donating Member
Registered
I'm not on any diesel forums and google does not yield any results except where to locate it so: I know some of you run diesel tow rigs

I just found the block heater on one of my diesel trucks while adding a brush guard. I thought only the Northern states used these when it got down around 0 and below, but evidently it was also a purchase option for the lower states...anyway

At what temps should you/or do you plug in your block heater~?~

I plug mine in whenever the temps get below 40. You switch to a thinner oil in the winter to help warm ups. I haven't yet but plan to in week or so. Do you have idle switch?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Ive seen on Ebay where you can get the Block heater cord for about $20 it wasnt until the other day I knew you had to have the heater itself, I need to go crawl under that big girl and see if it has one.

Ive seen on Ebay where you can get the Block heater cord for about $20 it wasnt until the other day I knew you had to have the heater itself, I need to go crawl under that big girl and see if it has one.

When I was on google earlier, the other sites said that every 6.0 comes with the block heater installed but unless you purchase the optional $35 cord you have to get one...also, they said that the cords on Ebay are a lot cheaper made than the $80 cord at the dealership and don't work very long...

Don't know what truths are there, but what I read.

I found the cord on my 250, but never have looked for it under my Excursion. Putting shocks on it Thursday or so and will take a look.

I plug mine in whenever the temps get below 40. You switch to a thinner oil in the winter to help warm ups. I haven't yet but plan to in week or so. Do you have idle switch?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Not sure about the idle switch, I don't have a manual one if that's what you are asking.

Both trucks idle slow for about a minute, then speed up until I put my foot on the brake then they go to an idle speed suitable for placing into gear.

My gas suburban with rear heat will take 20 min of driving if its below freezing if I don't plug it in. I'd reccommend anything below 40 plug it it, but ONLY AFTER the truck is fully warmed. You will over tax the heating element if you do it on a cold engine. Also, pickup Diesel Power magazine, they've got a good sidebar in it about coolant and oil warmers this month. Some will keep coolant at almost operating temp while pluged in and will circulate it instead of relying on convection to heat the coolant.
Posted via Mobile Device

Speaking of...I thought I was coincidentally having a cold start issue this morning at 15 degrees and -6 wind chill, one I have never experienced before and now the dual battery set up is on charge...

Turns out however, that one of us left both front dome lights on for what must have been a few days because I don't remember the last time we drove that truck at night time :whistle:

Well I braved the cold and went and slid under the Dodge and I found the Block Heater, Now I just need the cord and Im set.

Back