Daily Motivational thread...

BulletTrain

Call me Daddy...
Donating Member
Registered
I posted in the last thread that my cramp wasn't a cramp after all, but a pulled muscle. I think maybe it cramped just as I was usin' it and it just pulled slightly while cramped. Anyway, not bad enough to get in the way of cardio this mornin'. In fact, after my cardio session it actually feels better than before. I guess gettin' the blood pumpin' and gettin' those muscles warmed up is good for 'em after all.

As you know, yesterday I had a blah day and a lackluster workout. Lack of adequate rest/sleep, lack of hydration, and the resulting pulled neck muscle made for a long, slow, blah day all day yesterday. Felt like someone had beat my ass the night before. Just couldn't get it in gear. Had a really bad, low energy day.

In fact, it was such a bad day that for the first time since I made my life changes I actually craved junk food. I had already ate dinner (A nice healthy chicken breast sandwich and some carrots
wink.gif
) and had sat down in my recliner to rest for a few minutes and do a little readin' before bedtime. I get all comfortable in my big ass leather recliner and what pops into my head? Of all fuggin' things, a Big Mac and fries! Nooooooooooooooooo!!!
drooling3.gif
I finally get my first cravin' and it's for a stupid Big Mac and fries? Geeesh! Not a big ol' jiucy fat steak with a butter 'n' sour cream drenched baked potato and those AWESOME butter garlic rolls from The Steakhouse (An AWESOME local steak joint), not something really good, but a fuggin' Big Mac and fries from McDonalds!!! Are you hearin' me? I wasted a craving on something that's not even that good in the first place!

And mind you, I'm not sayin' that I just casually thought, "Hmmm, a Big Mac and fries would be good right now.". I'm talkin' about the kind of cravin' where you say to yourself, "Self, you've got to get a Big Mac and fries or the world just may stop turnin'!". Ok, I might be a little overdramatic here but not by much. I almost convinced myself to run to McD's and get one if I hadn't just ate my last healthy meal for the day. That helped a LOT. Would have been harder to resist the urge if it had hit on the way home from work, before I got home, made my meal and ate it.

Even so, I did actually consider drivin' back to town, gettin' the damned Big Mac and cavin' in. I seriously considered it. I think I actually dropped the foot rest on the recliner once to get up and go but never made it out of the chair. Would have been EASY last night to say, "I had a shitty day so I'm gonna forget the plan for one night and cave in this one time.". I realize now that before I made my changes I had a habit of feedin' my stress. I didn't realize it until now but it seems I would binge on junk food or fast food after a hard or bad day at work. My job inherently causes plenty of stress most days so I think I'm startin' to understand how I ended up where I did.

On a positive note, since I've made my lifestyle changes and started the Body For Life program my stress level has went WAY down, both at home and at work. Yesterday was the first truly stressful day I've had since I started the program. I guess that's why the old habit of feedin' the stress reared it's ugly head. I'm glad it did though. It's hard to fight an enemy you don't know exists. Now that I know why the craving occurred, I know that it's not just me bein' weak and susceptable to little temtations like that. If I had gone through a craving like I went through last night and NOT realized that it was caused by stress instead of me just wantin' a Big Mac (of all things!!!) I might have become a little discouraged with myself. Instead, when I realized that I was just wantin' to feed my stress I simply took a little nap while my uniforms were washin'. The nap went a LONG way toward relievin' the stress and clearin' my head and when I woke up, I didn't want a Big Mac anymore. In fact, that's when I initially thought about how awful it would be that my first major craving could be for somethin' that isn't really that good in the first place.  

The Big Mac episode last night gave me a new outlook on cravings and urges. Now, when I have one, instead of just figurin' I'm weak and tempted, I'll likely be tryin' to figure out what brought it on and doin' somethin' else to handle the trigger instead of feedin' the urge. So, from this day forward I will commit to NEVER feeding a craving or urge for shid food. I will no doubt take a day off here and there as part of the BFL program and I will no doubt take a rare meal off on certain occasions. I refuse to cheat myself and my health and fitness on a sudden urge. All my "off" meals and days to be PLANNED by ME in advance as part of my program and my life. All cravings and ugly urges will be squashed.

Anyway, I know I'm rattlin' on. Let's talk about today's cardio session.
biggrin.gif
First thing I done this mornin' after wakin' up was drink a glass of water. Got a shower and drank another glass of water. Got to the gym at work and drank about 21 more ounces of water before I got onto the treadmill. Yesterday served as a strong reminder  to stay hydrated. The dull pain in my neck served as a pretty good reminder as well.
wink.gif

After gettin' tanked up on H2O I hit the treadmill. Had a good session. Since one of my bigger goals is to fit into a nice set of one piece racin' leathers by my next birthday I chanted to myself "racin'" when my right foot hit the belt and "leathers" when my left foot hit for most of the session. I think it's good to do little stuff like that sometimes to keep focused on those goals.
wink.gif
It worked. The session went great. Didn't quite reach level 10 intensity but came very close.
biggrin.gif
Definitely got the blood flowin' and got my muscles warm and relaxed. Excellent way to start the day!
super.gif

Now, if you read this far, don't let me catch you typin' that you can't "find time" to work out! In the time it took you to read my rantin' and ravin' about Big Macs and stress, you could have done a nice cardio workout yerself instead of readin' about mine!
biggrin.gif

Now, sign off the net and DO SOMETHING!!!

Have a Big Mac free one!!!
biggrin.gif
beerchug.gif

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1083424962 -->

wink.gif

wink.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Hang in there BT. I fully understand the "cravings", as I am still trying to quit smoking. I was doing good until some shiot with the daughter and I fell off of the smoke wagon.

I'm back on the patch, but the voices keep saying..."just one won't hurt..."

Good Luck Kris
laugh.gif

..your words will ring in my ears - for all 14-hour days that I will be nailed to that chair..

workout? I have a rubber band under my desk and I pull one or two (feet..) but the secretary comes thinking that I have sex with the desk-or something..

and that's it-thank-you-very-much..

actually, there is no time, and I know how BIG that statement sucks..

but it's the truth..

Bullet , its okay to treat yourself to a meal once in a while, a lot of people pick one day where they are allowed to get that big mac or whatever, if you are training and remain dedicated to your workouts it will not harm you, sometimes your body needs that bad fat just not all the time!
biggrin.gif

Hang in there BT.  I fully understand the "cravings", as I am still trying to quit smoking.  I was doing good until some shiot with the daughter and I fell off of the smoke wagon.

I'm back on the patch, but the voices keep saying..."just one won't hurt..."

Good Luck Kris
laugh.gif
Yeah, I'm hangin' in... Took a planned free day yesterday and ate whatever I wanted. I found that even on a free day even though I ate things that aren't part of my diet any other time, I ate much less than I normally would have before startin' my diet changes. Since I'm eatin' the small meals throughout the day it just doesn't take as much to make me feel satisfied anymore. Ate at an AWESOME local country style Sunday lunch buffet and didn't go for seconds or desert. I was satisfied and didn't want anything else after my first serving. If you knew me and had ate at a buffet with me before you'd know how big of an accomplishment this is!
wink.gif

Hey, good luck on quittin' smokin'. That's gotta be a tough habit to drop.
drooling3.gif

..your words will ring in my ears - for all 14-hour days that I will be nailed to that chair..  

workout?  I have a rubber band under my desk and I pull one or two (feet..) but the secretary comes thinking that I have sex with the desk-or something..  

and that's it-thank-you-very-much..

actually, there is no time, and I know how BIG that statement sucks..    

but it's the truth..
14 hour days SUCK! Mine are usually at least 13 hours countin' drive time. They occasionally run 14 or more. That's why I have to make myself get up early enough to go work out before work. I know after that long at work I won't feel like it and it would throw me close to bedtime eatin' my last meal for the day. Not to mention the days when overtime would knock me totally out of my workout...

Of course I'm blessed to have access to a wonderfully equipped gym at my workplace. The cost to use it is a voluntary $5 a month, all of which goes toward buyin' new equipment and stuff for the gym. Not everyone has that luxury. I can get up an our earlier on weight liftin' days or 30 minutes earlier on cardio days, get dressed, go in and work out, then get ready for work and be there already. That has really made it easier to get started.

Bullet ,  its okay to treat yourself to a meal once in a while, a lot of people pick one day where they are allowed to get that big mac or whatever, if you are training and remain dedicated to your workouts it will not harm you, sometimes your body needs that bad fat just not all the time!  
biggrin.gif
Yeah, the Body For Life program allows one day a week to eat whatever you want. They say it helps to suppress your body's anti-starvation reactions to your restricted calorie diet and helps keep your metabolism from doin' a nose dive on ya. It also makes the program feasible as a life long program for lots of folks who would never stick with it if they had to give up some of their favorite foods for good.

I didn't take a free day for the first two weeks of the program just to make it a little easier to get into the habit of eatin' stuff that is authorized on the program. I used the free days when I was on the program before but I found that after a while, even on a free day I didn't go hog wild. Sometimes I'd only take a free meal on my free day and stay with the program the rest of the day.

I've also read and heard that an occasional free day also helps restore some things that your body needs but doesn't get enough of on restricted calorie diets. I gotta say that I'm feelin' pretty pumped and my muscles are feelin' pretty full today after yesterday's free day. Don't know if it has anything to do with that or not, but I sort of think it does.

Funny thing though... With a full day to eat whatever I wanted to eat, a Big Mac never even crossed my mind!
laugh.gif
Go figure...
rock.gif

Back