Cush Rubbers gone bad?

GsxrBots

Motorboatin' Moonpies, Gangnam Style
Registered
Can anyone tell me what the actual symptoms of bad Cush rubbers are? I believe mine are shot but trying to hear your experiences without ripping the rear wheel off to prove my assumptions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Grab the rear sprocket and try to move it back and forth...if there is play you need new ones,if no play they are good...when they are worn they allow play when accelerating or slowing,gives a jerky ride

When mine went on my Gen 1 i could feel a slight tug / jolt when using the back brake and the chain would kick a bit more than normal when applying and removing power.
As mentioned a simply check is to look for play at the sprocket carrier...if you have a paddock stand its easy...stick the bike in gear and try to rotate the wheel ...any slack in the rubbers will show as a bit of rotation each way.
If you take the wheel off and remove the carrier, the rubbers if knackered will feel loose and hardened....a short term fix for the slack is to use strips of old tyre tube around the sides of the rubbers til you get new ones...they aren't expensive and only take a few minutes to fit once the wheels out.

mine were worn at 12k miles. On the good side, they're cheap to replace.

the replacement ones i bought were stiffer than oem. should last longer.

Back