Completed my first tire change...

drumminman

Donating Member
Registered
And took her out yesterday. Now here's the thing. The tire is a Michelin Pilot power (190/50/zr17), and after I mounted it and went to balance it no weights were needed. That is it never consistently stopped in the same place.

I had read that Michelin claims that their tires are so well made that they don't need balancing, but I am still a little skeptical. But because of the above I used the axle for balancing, which I know is not all that sensitive.

On the first ride I was really watching for signs of an out of balance tire. At all sppeds up to 100 it was smooth as silk, smoother than the OEM that I replaced.

Comments welcome  
smile.gif

I thought all tire manufacturers put a mark on the heavy part of the tire (a Pirelli Diablo I put on my FZ1 had a white dot with an H for heavy). This is so you can place it opposite the heavy part of the wheel (static balance the wheel before putting the tire on). Can anyone else confirm if Michelin Pilot Powers have (or not have) the "heavy" mark ?

DM, it does sound like your wheel/tire is balanced, so no worries.

-PR

it should be as smooth as prom queen's inner thigh then you are a good to go.l

<!--EDIT|jigisup
Reason for Edit: None given...|1145925150 -->

Do you have a stock front still? If yes, does the different compound make a handling difference?
Yep, still got the stock front. I've only ridden 15 or so miles, but I detect no handling worries. I'll post up if this changes.

Also, I looked for the mark which is supposed to be mounted in line with the valve and it does not have one.

I've just about gotten rid of the chicken strips which I never felt comfortable doing with the OEM. I think I'm gonna like this tire!

Every tire has a spot on the tire to mark the position of the valve stem. Also, it's usually the wheel that needs balancing as most high end tires are pretty darn close in balance.

I would not run two different brand tires if I were you unless you just intend on putting around town. Throws all that engineering done to make your suspension function like an engineering dream out the window. Hard cornering and/or high speed can rear the angry head of the devil.

u got rid of the strips in 15 miles
rock.gif
hell the tire should not even be broke in the middle yet.

Rode 25 miles to work this am over back country roads with some twisties, and I can't believe the improvement in handling. I had to remind myself that it's not really scuffed yet so take it easy. It inspires much more confidence it's such a huge improvement.

The bike absolutely tracks better, turns better, and the rear brake has a much firmer feel. Maybe from increased traction?!?!

As for mixing tire brands front and rear, I have read it's a bad idea, but so far I have not found any truth in that at all.

Michelin Pilot Power rear
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
wink.gif

Harbor Freight tire changer
beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

how do you balance a tire withoout a machine?
You can buy a static balancer for around $115, or use the axle which I did. The former is much better and is how the pit crews at bike races do it.

The method is very simple. Ideally you balance the wheel first and then the wheel with the tire mounted.

The balancing goes like this: spin the wheel and when it stops mark the 6:00 position. Spin it again, at least several more times and if the wheel stops with the same spot at the bottom this is the heaviest part; you then put a weight at the opposite side and continue spinning and adding weight until it stops at different spots randomly.

Repeat with the tire on the wheel.

The method I used is workable, but not ideal as the wheel bearings have more resistance than the bearings that come with the static balancer. The latter is more accurate.

Do a search as this topic has been covered here. Hope this helps

smile.gif

I am just wondering if I am a weanie here on this subject. I do ALL tha maintenance on my bike except for two things. I do not have a balancing machine so when it comes to tire changes I let Suzuki mount and balance the tires. And the other is chain and sprocket changes. I want to make sure the chain is aligned properly and put on correct. I don't really like having them do these things but at high speeds if either of these 2 things fail you then you can cause severe damage to yourself or your bike or both. Just wondering how many of you do these items yourself. What would you advise?

Back