Clutch Problem

Speedmilo

Registered
I only use the bike at weekends and I recently suffered a problem with a partially seized clutch slave cylinder. I first noticed a heavier than normal clutch with a sticky action at the lever, initially though this went when the engine became hot. Unfortunately the problem fully manifested itself in the car park (at the bottom of hill) to the Welsh Motorbike Show in Builth Wells. On arriving back at the bike I pulled the clutch in, engaged first gear and instead of pulling off, I stayed where I was. Gradually the clutch engaged and I drove up the hill. I managed to limp back to town but the clutch got stiffer and stiffer until I lost all drive and the lever was solid. Some chap tried to help me and yanked the lever as hard as he could. The lever moved and there was a sever knocking sound from the engine! (thanks mate). Needless to say after arriving home on a trailer I established that the problem was a seized clutch slave. The piston had kept coming out with every squeeze of the clutch until eventually, Charlie boy's squeezing of the clutch had cracked the chain casing and disengaged the clutch operating piston so far that it jammed inside the clutch.

A new slave cylinder and casing solved the problem though I also had to strip the clutch to pop the operating piston back into the mainshaft. £100 parts and about 4 hours work. On examination of the old slave cylinder the cylinder was badly scored and corroded. The bike is 18 months old and had done 2,900 miles.....Am I just unlucky or has this happened to anybody else ?

<!--EDIT|Speedmilo
Reason for Edit: None given...|1090180022 -->

Back