Chopper and Bobbers?i don't get it?

afterhours

Registered
I have been trying to find me an old classic bike for a project, air cooled inline four.....but the more i look the mor i come across these guys. they take a $1k bike, cut off the rear frame, put saddle seat on it, remove the fenders and mufflers.....

call it a "bobber" or "Chopper" and try to sell it for $3k.....

since when did hacking up a perfectly good bike increase the value 2 or 3 times...

sorry for my rant, but i just frustrated with guys that use a hacksaw, and krylon spraint cans to modify thier bikes and then try to get top dollar.

this guy puts 550 side-covers on a KZ 750....to surprise 600's

pos kz.jpg

It's all about the demand. Alot of people by the bike for $1k and make it into a "Cooler looking" machine... and sell it for alot more. Less is more apparently these days.

i have no problem with "customizing" a bike. i however do not put the use of a hacksaw, and black primer from a rattle can in the category of work that can raise the value of a bike 300%.

as far as demand goes....i have seen this add in craigslist for 6 months, so there is not much demand.

The same goes for the sport bikes and the streetfighter look. I'll never understand why anyone would want all that crap hanging off the bike looking horrible and increasing drag!

Everybody's a biker builder!

But ya know what? back in my day you had to be if you wanted to ride a cool bke. Stock was a NO NO! SO we took whatever we could get our hands on and chopped it with what parts we had laying around and limited only by our imagination. The old skool revival was started on the same idea. Difference is we didnt try to sell what we had, choosing instead to ride it proud around the neighborhood.

i have taken a cut-off wheel to more than one frame or sub-frame, and yeah i have a long history of rattle can paint jobs. i ruined my first streetbike in this manner. at the time i thought it was the coolest thing.....but i was 15, and knew no better.

but I would never try to $3k for that thing.

But ya know what? back in my day you had to be if you wanted to ride a cool bke. Stock was a NO NO! SO we took whatever we could get our hands on and chopped it with what parts we had laying around and limited only by our imagination. The old skool revival was started on the same idea. Difference is we didnt try to sell what we had, choosing instead to ride it proud around the neighborhood.

+1 hardtail single seat choppers! if she wanted to ride, she better have a little pillow :laugh:

I have been trying to find me an old classic bike for a project, air cooled inline four.....but the more i look the mor i come across these guys. they take a $1k bike, cut off the rear frame, put saddle seat on it, remove the fenders and mufflers.....

call it a "bobber" or "Chopper" and try to sell it for $3k.....

since when did hacking up a perfectly good bike increase the value 2 or 3 times...

sorry for my rant, but i just frustrated with guys that use a hacksaw, and krylon spraint cans to modify thier bikes and then try to get top dollar.

so many bogus people trying to make a buck....I wish every for sale thread would say for example " FOR SALE FOR $30,000K..DON"T RESPOND UNLESS WHAT YOU SEE IS WORTH $30,000 TO YOU" this is the reason you have guys trying to get 7K for a 2000 busa and 7,200 for a 08 busa...PRECEIVED VALUE

I don't undestand it either. They are just going after the people that are to lazy or don't know what they are looking at and taking them for theri money.

i love my KZ750b chopper! but i would never sell it. old jap bikes just are not worth very much $$ most book at around $1k. unless its an awsome custom framed, hand hammered/mechined piece of groovy, no way its worth big bucks.
:beerchug: mine on the other hand is priceless. a priceless pain in the but, that requires a pocket of nuts-n-bolts, locktite, spare masterlink, and a toolbag full of wrenches and screwdrivers, to ride 90mi a day....but it makes me feel like captain amarica! and its good in the snow.
my son likes the Blue Buss Better.

bike pics 018.jpg

bike pics 053.jpg

Last edited:
i love my KZ750b chopper! but i would never sell it. old jap bikes just are not worth very much $$ most book at around $1k. unless its an awsome custom framed, hand hammered/mechined piece of groovy, no way its worth big bucks.
:beerchug: mine on the other hand is priceless. a priceless pain in the but, that requires a pocket of nuts-n-bolts, locktite, spare masterlink, and a toolbag full of wrenches and screwdrivers, to ride 90mi a day....but it makes me feel like captain amarica! and its good in the snow.
my son likes the Blue Buss Better.

thats cool....my neighbor has a rigid chopper with a cb750 engine, raked front end a springer front end....

i am helping him get it running, he got it in trade for some work he did for a customer....

i have no problem with "customizing" a bike. i however do not put the use of a hacksaw, and black primer from a rattle can in the category of work that can raise the value of a bike 300%.

I am gonna have to disagree. I think that if you can find a sucker willing to pay 3K for a bag of bolts, more power to you.

Back in the day when I was into RC racing, I made a fortune selling parts to suckers on e-bay. For example, I bought a box of 30 sets of used tires on e-bay for $20. I took out the best 10 sets for myself and then posted the remaining 20 back on e-bay. Winning bid was for $40. Doubled my money and got 10 sets of tires.:thumbsup:

Back