Carbon fiber body???

KokomoBusa

Banned
Does anyone make a carbon fiber body for the o8's?
I'm wanting to replace all my plastics but can't seem to find what i want.:(

you're gonna need deeeeep pockets for that one. :bowdown:

Check with OPP and Yoyodyneti. They may not have it yet but in time I'm sure a mold will be made. You could also talk to the folks at Catalyst but you're gonna have to pay up front to convince them to even consider doing it. They already have glass for the Gen II.

Thank you. I'm thinking about making my own molds and trying to build them myself. Don't have anyway to pull a vacuum though. I'm wanting all carbon fiber with an inlay of nickle plated carbon fiber for the kanji. "SUPER SEXY IT WILL BE" -Yoda

I found a nice materials site for carbon fiber, i'm thinking with some reading and hopefully not too much error to go along with my trial I may be able to make my own body pieces for around 1500-2000 total. that coming from someone who's never done any carbon fiber work though. Feel free to give me pointers or warnings. :thumbsup:

Can you say $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

look at pre-preg carbon
look at vacuum systems, bags, liners, etc
look at supplies such as rollers, scissors, mold release
find a place with an autoclave

it's a VERY ambitious skill to learn. Maybe to reduce your costs you may want to play with wet layup fiberglass first.

look at pre-preg carbon
look at vacuum systems, bags, liners, etc
look at supplies such as rollers, scissors, mold release
find a place with an autoclave

it's a VERY ambitious skill to learn. Maybe to reduce your costs you may want to play with wet layup fiberglass first.

I have a majority of all that you listed, I own a metal shop and do custom machining with it. The only hold up was a good vacuum system, but a friend of mine said he has one. Is the process for layering and treating fiberglass the same as carbon fiber?

I have a majority of all that you listed, I own a metal shop and do custom machining with it. The only hold up was a good vacuum system, but a friend of mine said he has one. Is the process for layering and treating fiberglass the same as carbon fiber?
you may want to talk with Suzuki4life.. he does CF work as I recall (did some custom undertails etc)

Perhaps a collaboration...

Can you even wash carbon fiber? is it very durable? I don't know much about it I've really only seen a bunch of fake carbon fiber on bikes

Thank you. I'm thinking about making my own molds and trying to build them myself. Don't have anyway to pull a vacuum though. I'm wanting all carbon fiber with an inlay of nickle plated carbon fiber for the kanji. "SUPER SEXY IT WILL BE" -Yoda

Vacuum pumps are easy, WTH a vacuum cleaner :poke:

Can you even wash carbon fiber? is it very durable? I don't know much about it I've really only seen a bunch of fake carbon fiber on bikes

Carbon fiber is an excellent replacement. It's quite durable in terms of tension strength and abrasion resistance, but it's impact strength leaves something to be desired. Another words, if you wreck, say "goodbye" to every bit of carbon.

Back