Cage Screwup I Haven't Seen In Awhile..

HillbillyTom

Donating Member
Registered
Violated one of my long standing rules this afternoon and rode into town (Springfield). Sure enough a cager screws up and causes me a semi-close call. Haven't seen this one in quite a while though.
Pulled up to a stop light behind this business looking gal in a new VW sedan. I noticed her backup lights on and I thought "no way", but trusting soul that I'm not, I stopped a couple of car lengths back. Sure enough, light turns green, wench hits the gas and lets out the cluch, backwards she goes. Slams on the brakes and goes to wrestling with the shift lever (standard). Finds a forward gear revs the motor waaay up, sidesteps the clutch, and goes squeeling off down the street. I about fell over laughing. Only way it could have been better would have been if a cop witnessed the Pro Stock launch.
Probably won't be riding back into town anytime soon again though.:laugh:

was it a pinto? That use to be common back when the rolling gas bombs were being made. Glad you were watching.

I am glad you were cautious and did not get too close.
How close did she get?
Just wondering.
Good eye bro:beerchug:
Bubba

can someone tell me what the heck a "cager" is,, sorry for my ignorance, we dont use that term here in NY NJ

because they have a cage around them and think they are bullet proof and dont have to pay attention to bikers

nothing if you dont mind riding around in a molotov cocktail of a car
:rofl:

seriously tho, good catch Hillbilly

we raced pintos dirt track for years...
can't understand why you think there was an issue with them.

Car and driver had a 9 second 4 cylinder pinto in it a few years back...easy car to mod.

they were just notorious for being a fireball when rearended stock pintos not modified with fuel cell.

Last edited:
what was wrong with the ford pinto?

Not a lot Ford sold millions. However before they did a forced safety recall and placed a small plastic shield between the fuel tank and rear axle, some young ladies died one night when; while they sat stationary at a red light a drunk who never hit his brakes struck them from behind at an est. speed of 85 MPH placing the rear of the car up and over the car making a reversed C out of it. It exploded into flames.

Last edited:
My guess would be that it's a 5 speed with reverse where 1st would be on a 6 speed...but funny anyways lol

Good on you. I try to stay to the left of the cage in front of me unless I can't. That's more for those coming up behind me. But would help in your case as well. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the post, I will be on guard for back up lights now. I usually try to stay to the left also.

Good on ya for staying a ways back. By the sound of the way she drives, I'm sure there's not a whole lot of clutch left in her car :laugh:

My guess would be that it's a 5 speed with reverse where 1st would be on a 6 speed...but funny anyways lol

No, thats the great thing about the German auto, First and Reverse are pretty much in the same place, but it usually take some effort to put it in reverse. Like a lever or switch or something.

Back