Business travel tips

bigoltool

Registered
Anybody do any long business trips to Europe on a regular basis? I am used to lots of travel in the US and Mexico (typically 5-6 hours at a shot) but I had a job offer recently that would require semi-frequent trips to Europe. I am just not sure I could deal with 11 or so hours in a regular plane seat. I am a big boy and usually leg room is at a premium on domestic flights and my company is most assuredly not going to pop for first class though Business class was mentioned in the interview. Learning Portuguese or Polish is also a little bit of a concern. I already hit em up for Rosetta stone.

Get the exit row if possible...normally more leg room. Force yourself to get up and move around on the flight. Ambien can be a Godsend.Stay standing as much as possible. Learning the local language goes a long way towards making a good impression. Save being a loud, obnoxious American for America...it doesn't travel well globally.

Get the exit row if possible...normally more leg room. Force yourself to get up and move around on the flight. Ambien can be a Godsend.Stay standing as much as possible. Learning the local language goes a long way towards making a good impression. Save being a loud, obnoxious American for America...it doesn't travel well globally.

lol..... had to read that last line twice..

I was in Europe for 6 months and it goes a LONG way when you even attempt to speak the countries language. A converter is a must too. I thought usually all the overseas flights had more space and leg room than the domestic flights.......

If you take the job, god luck to you and have a great time over there.

Go business class and you'll have NO PROBLEMS. My normal trip time from Paris to Dallas is 10 hours after 8 hours of flight time to get to Paris. And Business Class is a pleasure to do. The worst part is flying from DFW to Tulsa in normal Domestic Seats. Foods Great, Movie Great and the Stew's (OK, Flight Attendents) are ALWAYS there with something to eat or drink ! Now the cattle car section has really NARROW seats and lacks service that makes the trip FLY :laugh: by. Infact, I always look forward to flying because of the Big seats in Business Class.

But Ya got to remember the only thing I can compare it to was 30 years of flying in the back of a FREEZING - NO WINDOW SEAT :laugh: - BOX LUNCH - LACED SIDE SEAT - OR laying on some parachutes for a bed - C-130 or C-141 for long miserable flights. Then I usually had to JUMP OUT before they landed :whistle:

BUSINESS CLASS is MUCH BETTER :thumbsup:

Think about all of the beautiful women in Poland and Portugal. If that aint a motivator to learn the language and get over a trans-atlantic flight, I just don't know what is.

Concerning inflight comfort: Do the things suggested such as getting up to walk to the bathroom as often as you can. Take your own sound cancelling headphones for the movie and music. Periodically flex the muscles in your legs all the way to your glutes so you don't end up with a painful tailbone. The narrow and minimal legroom seats in coach do suck so try to get an agent to put you in the Tall row if possible. Stay away from caffeine during the flight to settle your nerves and relax.

Good luck with the gig.

Anybody do any long business trips to Europe on a regular basis? I am used to lots of travel in the US and Mexico (typically 5-6 hours at a shot) but I had a job offer recently that would require semi-frequent trips to Europe. I am just not sure I could deal with 11 or so hours in a regular plane seat. I am a big boy and usually leg room is at a premium on domestic flights and my company is most assuredly not going to pop for first class though Business class was mentioned in the interview. Learning Portuguese or Polish is also a little bit of a concern. I already hit em up for Rosetta stone.

Language as mentioned is pretty key.

Other tips would be, get a good cell phone (GSM) and simply buy prepaid cards in the country you are in. I spent a good amount of time in germany, france and the UK and had a sim card for each. Most were about the same to call in europe, however rates to the US were far better having a "local" phone card.

For flights, if your company will not pay for first class (which I'd really doubt unless your title started with Cxx or VP) then I'd push for business class. If they fight you about business class, you can do a few things. First, tell (Ask) them that all your tickets would need to be full fare. If they ask, just say to make sure you dont have issues with changes, etc. You can then upgrade that ticket if you have status with the airline, generally for a few thousand miles and a few hundred bucks. Just expense them back to the company, its far far cheaper usually than buying the bus.class ticket.

Stay at the same hotel as much as possible, get to know the folks there and it will make your stays much easier. They will help you with the language and can help you get a feeling of home. Try to get the same room (unless they upgrade you to something better ;) ) and establish your routine while away.

HTH, definitely fly full fare as much as you can, your upgrade options are vastly improved that way, even if they insist on coach fares. :thumbsup:

Concerning inflight comfort: Do the things suggested such as getting up to walk to the bathroom as often as you can. Take your own sound cancelling headphones for the movie and music. Periodically flex the muscles in your legs all the way to your glutes so you don't end up with a painful tailbone. The narrow and minimal legroom seats in coach do suck so try to get an agent to put you in the Tall row if possible. Stay away from caffeine during the flight to settle your nerves and relax.

I would add: drink more water and change your shoes/boots with either some light home shoes or warm socks (you can put them on over other socks).

Apply some moisturizing cream on your face (especially nostrils) and hands...most often they provide you with cream (as well as toothpaste/brush) on board.

You will gradually get used to overseas flights, don't be surprised...especially when you fly back home...you know, the way home is always shorter :thumbsup:

Back